Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's Wrong With This Picture?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
archmark
610 Views, 9 Replies

What's Wrong With This Picture?

The following image is from the 2nd Floor of the Advanced Sample Project at the Revit Architecture 2014 startup page. Doesn't speak well for Autodesk QC or the Spell Checker...

2013-07-01_1058.png

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
CSEnginuities
in reply to: archmark

Good catch!  I myself once received a Revit project file that had a funny in it, too...

Clara
----------
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Message 3 of 10
archmark
in reply to: CSEnginuities

Clara:

Many users DO consider the 'funny' that you discovered to be a rather apt description for Autodesk's "flagship" BIM software.

If  Autodesk can't even correct the misspellings in the project examples included in their software, it makes one wonder exactly how much 'stuff' didn't get corrected in the programming itself.

A perfect example is Revit's continuing inability, as in the Detail Component function, to be able to orientate a hatch pattern within a building material, as when showing an angled piece of plywood in section. Pretty lame for "the flagship"...

Mark

Message 4 of 10
Alfredo_Medina

Hmm... A spelling mistake does not mean that everything else is wrong. The sample files are probably not done by anybody from Autodesk, but maybe by a volunteer user who wanted to contribute with the file. You have discovered a spelling mistake. I discovered more severe errors in the sample file for MEP, such as pipes that were crossing each other, etc,  But, as I said, this just a sample file, not guaranteed to be perfect. A spelling mistake is not a big deal. It takes less time to fix it than to spend time writing about it.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 10
rosskirby

It's important to keep in mind that this software, though expensive, is extremely complex, especially in terms of what goes on "behind the scenes" with the programming, even if the end result you want should be "simple" to achieve.  Of course it's not perfect.  No software is, or ever will be.  And a few minor errors in a sample file are no indication of any underlying lack of quality control at the programming level.  I'm sure there's a higher level of quality control for the base programming and program functionality than there is for a simple typo in the sample file.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 6 of 10
archmark

And in this day and age of spell checkers and all of the other great technologies and time savers, they, BOTH Autodesk and the contributor of the BIM sample, STILL CAN'T GET IT RIGHT? Doesn't speak well for the abilities of either party IMHO.

As an 'old school' Architect with ±35 years of experience, any employee of mine who is too lazy to spell check their work gets ONE warning, then they get a permanent UNPAID vacation courtesy of moi...

Message 7 of 10
archmark
in reply to: rosskirby

If 'they', Autodesk, want to sell this software as the 'flagship' Architectural modeling software and then decide to include a detailing function therein, 'they' could at least attempt to get something as basic as the correct orientation of the plywood hatching to function properly.

I say NO MORE UPDATES AUTODESK UNTIL YOU GET YOUR  TOGETHER!!!

Message 8 of 10
rosskirby

I assume you're talking about the diagonal hatch that is typically used to represent plywood, correct?  If so, I have a line-based detail component family with a repeating array of diagonal hatch lines (in addition to the lines that are parallel to the face of the plywood), that works in any orientation, so I'm not sure where exactly you're coming from...

It took some work to make, and it wasn't included out of the box, but do you really expect Autodesk to generate all of your content for you?  As I'm sure you're aware, architecture covers a huge range of project types from tiny residential remodels up to massive multi-story campuses.  If Autodesk had to include every type of detail component that works for every situation, you'd easily be paying 5 times what a license costs now.

The intent of the software is to give you a basic working point, a place to begin.  How you generate designs and documents from there is up to you, just like it is with any other architectural software.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 9 of 10
archmark
in reply to: rosskirby

Since plywood is a pretty 'basic' building component, and since Autodesk made what I consider to be a very poor attempt at including 'basic' building components in the Detail Component feature, I expect something so 'basic' to work correctly OOTB.

Maybe if Autodesk had some programmers with 'real world' graphical architectural experience then something SO 'basic' wouldn't continue to be such a ...

Message 10 of 10
Alfredo_Medina

Well, if you have some specific questions, other than just complaints for a spelling mistake in a sample file, we will happy to assist you. Reading just complaints written with that big font is not interesting anyway.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report