Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Shared Parameters and how to use it?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
srameshburndy
36268 Views, 11 Replies

What is Shared Parameters and how to use it?

Hi,

Could anyone explain what is shared parameter?

How to create that .txt file using in shared parameter

Kindly explain with images

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
CoreyDaun
in reply to: srameshburndy

Hello,

Have you taken a look through WikiHelp? Follow this link - WikiHelp: Shared Parameters

It should help quite a lot. If you hit any snags or have any confusion, just let us know.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 3 of 12
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: CoreyDaun

The shared parameters file is like a bridge to pass data as parameters, between multiple families or projects, data that can be displayed in tags, and listed in schedules.

To beging creating your shared parameters file, use Manage > Projects > Shared parameters, and use the Create button.

For all the detailed info, refer to the Wikipedia article listed above. I hope this image helps:

4-10-2013 8-48-40 AM.jpg

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 4 of 12
bimandict
in reply to: srameshburndy

Hi,

If you are new to shared Parameters (SP) it can be hard to get your head around it theoretically.

I suggest you make set up a test environment with a copy of your standard template and a copy of the SP file you are pointing Revit to. Point your test template to the test SP.

The start to create simple families e..g a cube with SP for width and height (for flexing the cube) for example.

Then find these SP you used in the SP settings in Revit (manage/shared parameters see image) to get an understanding of where the SP is coming from when you change the properties of the width and height of the cube once placed in a project.

Also look at the SP txt file to find the width and height just to visually confirm the relationship it has with Revit.

Analyze a standard door. Create a door schedule and back track the SP on everything you decide to schedule.

I would suggest that you stick to the default Autodesk SP file in the beginning until you are sure of what your office requires and how to create new SP that will make sense and work in the long run.

Get your hands dirty.

Regards,

Jimi Clarke

BIM Manager - London
Microsoft Cloud Services Partner
Message 5 of 12

All  the people that answered to  your question here are right.....

I'll show you an example that I made for an young architect in order to understand what is shared parameter good for.

Suppose you want to make a piese of furniture ( call it box), then you need to insert it into your project and there to make a schedule which controls not only the number of furniture pieces (as the Type and Instance allow ) but also their dimensions , areas per unit and per total, volume....If you want this you have to use Shared Parameters.

• Let"s make first,  a Furniture Family...a simple box with three parameters: WidthS ,DepthS and HeigthS -(like in image 010),  check Shared from Parameter Type - click Select
  • Edit Shared Parameter >Shared Parameter File> Create >Save in> save the Text file into a location in your computer under a suggestive name - image 02 
  • Then from Edit Shared Parameters >Groups>New... call it Box shared parameters...and OK...image 03
  • from Edit Shared Parameters >Parameters >New.. create a series of length parameters...width, depth and height....image 04 and 05
  • Then, create the object, the Box ( all the constraint were applicated to the reference planes before and the box sides are attached to the reference planes) - image 06
  • then, load the family object (the Box) into the project
  • In Project ,  made a Furniture Schedule ....the Box object will appear in the schedule...but it can be seen in Fields>Avalable Fields some new fields : the shared- WidthS , DepthS and Heights....image 07 ....ad these to the schedule - image 08
  • Now in the schedule I can create other Calculated Parameters as Area or Volume....for instance the total upper surface of the boxes or the total volume of them....image 09 and 10
  • These parameters can now used for other objects that you want to appear in schedules

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 6 of 12

Thanks for your detailed explanation.its working

Message 7 of 12

HI!
Great explanation!
Im testing a way to link a family parameter, say "current price" to a web site, so the web site will carry the current price of a door for example. 
how can i add this parameters into a door family, and most important, how can i link the shared parameter into an online xml?? or is it obligatory to be a .txt file? 

thanks

Message 8 of 12
SteveKStafford
in reply to: contato

...and most important, how can i link the shared parameter into an online xml?? or is it obligatory to be a .txt file?

No point, a Shared Parameter file is NOT the data it is just a definition of a parameter we agree we want to share between Revit projects and families. The data is part of a project(s) and/or families. It may help (helps me anyway) to think of the Shared Parameter file as a dictionary, a place to store common definitions for parameters. This makes it easy to add them to any project or family.

If you want to update the data based on external sources then you'd need to build a connection between that data and Revit. This could be done via Excel where the spreadsheet looks up the current data and then Revit can import the information via a tool like BIM Link from IDEATE that allows us to export/import data. You could use the API to do the same sort of task yourself if you have the necessary programming skills.

Another way to approach it is to use a Type Catalog for each family (ideally something a manufacturer would provide). This catalog could be used to load/update the current pricing (and other info) for its related family.

None of these are automatic, all require user interaction to refresh the data.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 9 of 12

Can someone provide another explanation for what are shared parameters, why it's needed, how to create the shared parameters.

Message 10 of 12
valerie5W4L4
in reply to: CoreyDaun

That wiki link didn't go anywhere helpful regarding shared parameters

Message 11 of 12
ToanDN
in reply to: valerie5W4L4

Message 12 of 12
RobDraw
in reply to: valerie5W4L4

@valerie5W4L4 wrote:

That wiki link didn't go anywhere helpful regarding shared parameters

That's because the post is four years old and Wiki Help doesn't exist anymore.

@valerie5W4L4 wrote:

Can someone provide another explanation for what are shared parameters, why it's needed, how to create the shared parameters.

What more do you need? Lots of good information here and elsewhere on the web.

Rob

Drafting is a breeze and Revit doesn't always work the way you think it should.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report