charlv
Message 1 of 7 (1,427 Views)
Accepted Solution

Wall wrapping issue when joining a column

1427 Views, 6 Replies
03-09-2012 02:24 AM

Hi all,

Please see attached rvt file.

Ive got a wall, column and door in Revit Arch 2012 Update2. Upon joining the column to the wall we get a strange result in the internal wall layer in plan view. Delete the door and the wall adjust correctly.

See attached screenshot. When I change the wall's layer wrapping at inserts to "Do not wrap" all components act correctly.

So this is a wall wrapping issue. Any ideas how to get around this?

Thanks Charl.

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 2 of 7 (1,407 Views)

Re: Wall wrapping issue when joining a column

03-09-2012 02:21 PM in reply to: charlv

In the wall's type properties, at the list of layers, the component listed as # 5, "paint" has a check mark for "Wrap" (scroll to the right to see the "Wrap" column). Remove that checkmark, you don't need that layer to wrap; that is causing the issue.

Apart from that, the wall is not carefully configured. All elements are set to "Structure [1]", all three, the brick, the air cavity, and the other material, not defined, but named as "paint", even though it has a thickness of more than 4 inches.

But the main issue is caused by the "paint" layer, being set to wrap.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Valued Contributor
charlv
Message 3 of 7 (1,388 Views)

03-10-2012 11:37 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Hi,

Thank you for the info however we are aware that its a wrapping issue as stated in the initial post.

When I turn off the "paint 2" layer's wrapping I get issues at the cavity area at the door. See attached.

So what we need is to keep the wrapping on and have the wall act correctly when I join the column - maybe something for the developers?

Regards Charl.

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 4 of 7 (1,382 Views)

03-10-2012 12:54 PM in reply to: charlv

That happens because the door family is missing a reference plane marked as "closure", located below the front/back reference plane. Once that reference plane is added to the door, the brick in the wall closes the gap properly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Valued Contributor
charlv
Message 5 of 7 (1,351 Views)

03-12-2012 11:32 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Hi. Thanks for the info.

I added the wall closure ref line into the family and I still get inconsistant width of the yellow layer on the one side of the wall.  On the other side of the column the layer turned white?

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 6 of 7 (1,344 Views)

03-12-2012 12:08 PM in reply to: charlv

You need to adjust the location of the 'closure' reference plane in the door family. Try with 60 mm to the South of the horizontal reference plane. That is the distance between the center line of the wall and the interior face of the finish layer in the wall type. See illustration.

Valued Contributor
charlv
Message 7 of 7 (1,336 Views)

03-12-2012 12:36 PM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Hi, Thanks.

This will do fine. ( One small issue still is that the cavity does not now join in the middle of the doorframe - but I guess its ok ) 

Thanks

Charl

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube