Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall Split

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
ThomasMC
3954 Views, 7 Replies

Wall Split

When I have a cmu wall with finishes on both sides or a finish with an air space I should be able to modify the wall so I get separate grips in section and can move the finishes up or down separately. Instead I get a message "extension layers at base of wall must be adjacent". How can I get this to work and not get that message?
Thank you,
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: ThomasMC

To be able to move up or down finish layers in walls in section views, first, you need to unlock those layers in the wall type properties window. After you click in the "structure" button, click on "Modify" (vertical structure); set the view to a section, and select the finish material layer that you want to unlock. Top and bottom of each layer have independent locks, so you would need to unlock both, if you want to unlock from either end.

Please see attached image.

Alfredo Medina
info@planta1.com
http://www.planta1.com
Online Revit Training

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 8
ThomasMC

That works for a wall like the one you show were there is only 1 finish on 1 side of the walls if you have finishes on both sides of the wall and you try to unlock the finishes on both sides you will get error messages
Message 4 of 8
Alfredo_Medina

You can get rid of the error message if you follow the rule that says that two unlocked layers must be adjacent, either at the top or the bottom.
So, you can have Locked-Unlocked-Unlocked , or Unlocked-Unlocked-Locked. You can also have Locked-Unlocked-Locked. If all 3 are unlocked, you won't get any error messages, but the wall won't do anything. The 3 options mentioned before will let you work. However, notice in the illustration provided that, out of 3 components, 2 of them must align. It is not possible to move them all independently without at least 2 of them being in alignment. To obtain full freedom of moving all the three layers independently from the other one, you need to create a separate very thin "finish" wall type.

Alfredo Medina
info@planta1.com
Online Revit Training

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 8
ThomasMC

It still seems you can only unlock layers on the bottom that are adjacent which means that either the gyp board on the inside of the wall or the metal panels on the outside of the wall need to carry below grade to the footing which does not work so I need to create a separate foundation wall. Also I can not move the 2 outside layers independently on top either since they cannot be adjacent.
Message 6 of 8
Alfredo_Medina

Besides the feature of unlocking layers in compound walls, there are other options that you might find useful, such as stacked walls, sweeps, reveals, merge and split regions, cut profile, cut geometry, etc. It would be good to see a sketch in section view of what you want to achieve, to see if there is a solution.

Alfredo Medina
info@planta1.com
Online Revit Training

Message 7 of 8
gccdesign
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

These rules are to some degree unfortunate, in my opinion. For instance, a very common interior wall, 2x4 studs with drywall either side.

It would be helpful if the studs would be locked and the finishes (drywall) on either side unlocked.

Maybe they do serve some purpose.

Message 8 of 8
gentleeagle67
in reply to: gccdesign

Agreed, it makes no sense to me why they have these constraints.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report