Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall Split - How to separate resulting elements

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Keith_Wilkinson
3809 Views, 2 Replies

Wall Split - How to separate resulting elements

Before i start, I'm not questioning why Revit behaves like this I'm just trying to understand how I can stop the behaviour happening.

Hopefully a short video is attached showing the issue.

I have two walls which I have split in section.  The right hand one is split at the height of Level 1 the left hand one is split at an arbitrary point.

If I now select the lower wall element in the left hand wall and drag the top of it down the wall above remains attached.  Unlocking the wall, profile or attempting to unjoin the walls has no effect.  If I move one of the walls horizontally away from the other the top and bottom are still joined / linked.

However the right hand wall which was split at level 1 does not exhibit this behaviour.

I can see benefits in how the left hand wall operates however I can also see how, as a project develops this behaviour could lead to unexpected results.

My only 'sensible' work around to stop this happening (ie the walls remaining stuck together) is to copy one of the elements, delete it and then paste it in place.

I can find no other way of making Revit behave in this way (like I say this behaviour could be useful) other than by splitting at wall.

Can anyone add any clarity to this behaviour?

Cheers

K.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Maimonides
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Looking at your recording:

1. Left Wall : splitting the wall will result two walls attached one to the other. Moving one of them , it will take with it the attached one. In order to remove the attachment , select (using TAB) the line that separates the two resulted walls and check both locks in order to unlock the two entities .Now you'll be able to move them separately verticaly and horizontaly...
  2. Right Wall :splitting the wall will result two walls attached to the Level line between. See it if you move Level vertically...In order to move these two walls horizontally you have to unlock too ...see my recording

https://chronicle.autodesk.com/main/details/6367c91f-a815-4fd2-9445-53e3c8ec5991

Constantin Stroescu

EESignature

Message 3 of 3

Brilliant, thanks. Makes sense.

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."
Maimonides

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report