Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall Family with variable interior finishes

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
dtdesign
768 Views, 3 Replies

Wall Family with variable interior finishes

I am working on a project that has an exterior wall of concrete block.  The interior of the building will be finishes with furring and gypsum board.  However, there are certain areas of the wall that will not have an interior finish (the location of the stairs and elevator - they are located against the exterior wall).

What is the best way of doing this?  I would assume two wall families - one with the finish and one without.  Then join the geometry...

Anyone come across this type of situation and how to approach it?

Thanks in advance

-Dave

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
rosskirby
in reply to: dtdesign

There are two ways you can do it:

1st: the way you mentioned, which is the way I'd recommend.  You don't even have to manually join the geometry, the walls will join automatically.

2nd: Make two separate wall types (one for the CMU, one for the furring).  This can be useful in several cases.  For example, if your furring isn't always going to be the same depth (7/8" hat channels vs. 3-5/8" studs, for example), then you should go with the CMU and furring wall types.  Also, if you're doing a renovation project, and you want to strip down the wall to the structural layer by removing just the finish layer, then two walls is the way to go.  Just remember that with this method, you'll need to manually Join the two walls together so that doors and windows inserted into one wall also cut the parallel wall.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 3 of 4
dtdesign
in reply to: rosskirby

Thanks so much for this information.  My major issue is that the CMU walls are exterior and three stories high - so the middle level is the one with the finished interior walls (some aren't due to the stairs and elevators being up against the exterior walls).  So, I wanted the exterior CMU to go from grade to parapet and provide just the furring on the center level of offices.

Your suggestions definitely fit the bill...

Message 4 of 4
francisco
in reply to: dtdesign

Stacked wall is another alternative. . . adjust the elevation of the particular occurrences.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report