Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Void Visibilty

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
kevinmulvaney
31321 Views, 13 Replies

Void Visibilty

I have a number of families that I have added a void extrusion to. This is to allow the family, mainly outlets and switches, to cut through any wall protecton we apply to a wall. The issue I am having is the geometry of the void is showing where it shouldn't be.

As you can see in the Family.jpg the void is only set to visible in Coarse mode and from the Left/Right. However in the Project.jpg you can see the boundry of the void in Fine mode front elevation.

Any idea/help with voids not showing up.

Kevin Mulvaney, CAD/Revit Manager
PKA ARCHITECTS
Portland Oregon
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Visibility settings don't apply to voids. If you see a void in the project it is because the void is not cutting its host in the family.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 14

The void is not for cutting the family geometry, it's for cutting geometry in the project.I have "Cuts with voids when loaded" checked in all families with this same void, and all other settings are the same.

The Data and Power outlets in the attached have the same void and do not show in elevation.

PKA ARCHITECTS
Portland Oregon
Message 4 of 14

Are those wall-based families?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 14

Yes, they are all wall based families. Actually they were all built from the same family then tweaked to display different functions. So they all should work the same way.

To be clear, the void in the family is being used to cut a "Specialty Equipment" family, specifically wall protection, in the project.

PKA ARCHITECTS
Portland Oregon
Message 6 of 14
CoreyDaun
in reply to: kevinmulvaney

Only elements of specific Categories may be cut in this manner and Specialty Equipment is not one of these. See this WikiHelp page for specific info.

Edit: Please note that the above link is regarding Revit 2012. The updated information regarding Revit 2013 exists further down the thread.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 7 of 14
kevinmulvaney
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Acutally I found that Wiki article specifically dealt with 2012, we are on 2013 and Specialty Equipment can be cut with a void. See attached. The Green highlighted Switch has not Cut the wall protection, but the other elements have.

I think the Wiki needs updating to reflect the changes in 2013.

PKA ARCHITECTS
Portland Oregon
Message 8 of 14

Notice, in that article in Wikihelp, it says "In Revit 2012..." The list is not up to date, because in Revit 2013, Specialty Equipment can we cut with a void in family.

Something else to clarify: the "cut with voids when loaded" is not suppsed to cut other objects automaticaly. You need to do Cut Geometry > object > family with void, in the project. Kevin, are you sure you are doing this for every instance?

The only case when the cut is automatic is when a void has already cut its host in the family editor.

Message 9 of 14

My issue is not with the voids cutting when selected, it's the voids displaying when there is nothing for them to cut. It's actually quite sporatic when they do and do not show.

PKA ARCHITECTS
Portland Oregon
Message 10 of 14

Well, if the family contains a void which has not been used to cut anything, the void will be visible. That's the "normal" behaviour.

Another alternative is to use face-based families or wall-based families with voids that cut the host in the family. Then, you would not need to deal with voids, visible or not, or cut geometry, in the project.

Message 11 of 14
CoreyDaun
in reply to: kevinmulvaney

My apologies for the outdated info.

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 12 of 14
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Well, I went to article, but I did not see a way to edit it. I can add comments but I did not see how to edit the information in the article. Maybe only the author can do it? I am not sure. Question for Jeff Hanson.

Anyway, this is the picture that I borrowed from the article and edited. I don't want to replace the existing image because it is useful for users of Revit 2012. I just want to add this image to the article, for users of Revit 2013. The article is at this link:

Notice that I removed the word "only" (left blank) because there are more categories in other disciplines in Revit 2013 that are not included in this list, which refers to architectue. I also added "with unattached voids in families", to avoid confusion with the other list of categories that are "cuttable" in regards to section lines, which is a different topic.

categories that can be cut with families with voids.jpg

Message 13 of 14

I have figured out what I think to be the solution. In my family I moved the Void to a reference plane at the front of the blend extrusion, it was set to the back plane. This moves the void so it is no longer interacting with the blend extrusion. This seems to have removed the void from the elevation views where they aren't cutting anything. The void will still cut the wall protection, so for now I am happy.

PKA ARCHITECTS
Portland Oregon
Message 14 of 14

I downloaded this sink from the Corian website.  The void is showing in cut section and elevation.  How can I fix this?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report