Revit Architecture

Contributor
SSStudio
Message 1 of 8 (1,191 Views)

Visibility by Level in 3D View

1191 Views, 7 Replies
03-09-2012 12:18 PM

Is there a way to set the visibility of elements in a 3D view according to the Level they are associated with?

The VG tab which opens the filter dialog provides a check box for the "Levels" category, and the relevant parameters are made available.

But I can not seem to create a filter rule which evaluates any of those parameters (name, elevation, etc...) to then isolate the visibility of those elements in the 3D view that either meet, or do not meet the criteria. Nothing seems to work.

To achieve a "similar" effect in a 3D view, I can use a Section Box, but that is a very clunky and imprecise way.

I can also create a Shared Parameter for "Level" and perhaps filter successfully that way, but that seems redundant with the Levels intelligence already established.

Am I missing something?

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 2 of 8 (1,179 Views)

Re: Visibility by Level in 3D View

03-09-2012 01:28 PM in reply to: SSStudio

The Levels check box in the filter dialog allows you to select Level elements that meet a certain criteria, but that has nothing to do with filtering the model elements associated to levels.

How about creating isometric views by level? Doesn't that give you the same result?

Cube menu > Orient to view > Level 1 > Orbit. Save view, then, repeat for the next level, etc...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Contributor
SSStudio
Message 3 of 8 (1,167 Views)

03-09-2012 03:57 PM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks Alfredo!

That certainly works for me.

I appreciate your help.

cvarughese0305
Message 4 of 8 (756 Views)

08-02-2013 04:11 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina
Thanks! this was exceptionally helpful, do you know if there is a way to put 3D levels on top of each other and make an axon drawing in revit? I've been trying this and it hasnt been successful. Thanks in advance
Employee
loboarch
Message 5 of 8 (752 Views)

08-02-2013 04:31 AM in reply to: cvarughese0305

cvarughese0305 wrote:
Thanks! this was exceptionally helpful, do you know if there is a way to put 3D levels on top of each other and make an axon drawing in revit? I've been trying this and it hasnt been successful. Thanks in advance

This article outlines a technique to create a presentation like what I think you are describing.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/Community/Tips_and_Tricks/Views%2c_Visibility%2c_Graphics/Adj...

pulled_axon.png

Jeff Hanson
Sr. Subject Matter Expert
Autodesk, Revit User Experience
*Expert Elite*
constantin.stroescu
Message 6 of 8 (745 Views)

08-02-2013 04:58 AM in reply to: cvarughese0305

As Jeff says , or if you have Revit 2014 you can use Displace Element function:

For this make a duplicate of your 3 d view, select one ore more model elements and from Modify/Multy Selesct >View>Displace Element....changes are made only in the selected view...

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Employee
loboarch
Message 7 of 8 (742 Views)

08-02-2013 05:01 AM in reply to: constantin.stroescu

The method I linked to might be a little easier than displaced views if doing an entire building.  Creating the displacement sets might be time consuming.

Jeff Hanson
Sr. Subject Matter Expert
Autodesk, Revit User Experience
*Expert Elite*
constantin.stroescu
Message 8 of 8 (731 Views)

08-02-2013 05:17 AM in reply to: loboarch

I have to confess that in practice I am using your method because allows me to CUT the levels as I want.

Anyway the Displace Element improvement from Revit 2014 is very usefull when want to show how an element is composed from other subelements- for instance a 3d detail of an assemblage ( a node of wooden  post - beam for instance) explaining how the elements are  put together...

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube