Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Symbols as Component / Model families

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
IMCornish
825 Views, 9 Replies

Using Symbols as Component / Model families

Man FrustratedI am trying to produce a Camera symbol to indicate the position of where a photograph has been taken on a site plan. I also want to be able to rotate the symbol to indicate the direction of the view and further to have a horizontal tag that shows the photograph number. Therefore I have been trying to create two families, a Camera Symbol and a Camera Tag so that the former can rotate and carry other information such as Date, Title etc., whilst the later needed to be kept horizontal. In trying to do this I started trying to create a 2D Model Family for the Camera but you cannot, it appears, to create a 'filled region' in a model family but it does appear that you can have a Symbol imported into the family. This I have tried to do by creating a Camera Symbol but when imported it remains invisible despite the visibility setting for annotations being set to visible. Since an annotation cannot reference an annotation, is there any way that I can create a Camera Symbol that does what I wish?  I feel that I might be missing something fundamental.

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: IMCornish

If it is a symbol, then create it as an annotation family, not a model family. If you do it as a model, then you will need to turn it off in all other views.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 10
IMCornish
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Of course you are right but I am assuming that a tag cannot reference an annotation (symbol)?  If I am wrong then all should be well, but if I am right then I need to create a single annotation (symbol) which also needs to include the sort of information shown with a tag, in this case the photo number, and the information that I need to be scheduled. I can show the former as a label and have instance parameters for the remainder can't I ?   The difficulty arrises when  I need a parameter to rotate the 'symbol' part of the annotation.  I have tried many times to achieve this, with varying results, but since 'rotation' is not a built in parameter of part of an annotation I have used an instance parameter based on the angle of a reference line, grouped with the 'symbol' geometry to turn the graphics and not the label but it will not turn on a consistant centre point and becomes distant from the label so appearing to disassociate itself.

If I am wrong about a tag referencing an annotation (symbol) then you might know what annotation catagory I should build it from.  I am thinking generic and changing it to 'site'.

Suggestions, ideas, welcomed. 

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 4 of 10
Alfredo_Medina

You don't need a tag. You need a generic annotation family with labels. The labels will display the value of instance parameters, such as the photo number, the date, and a rotation angle. The rotation is achieved by associating the geometry that rotates to a reference line, with a parameter. Then, the correspondent label is tied to the parameter.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 10
IMCornish

What you say makes a great deal of sense, but I just can't get my symbol to rotate around a centre line and whenever I try to flex the rotation parameter I have to remove the contraint.  Have tried numerous methods, grouping the reference line with the symbol (locking part of the symbol geopmetry to it), also I have tried without groups and just tied part of the symbol to the reference line. This appeared to work best until I noticed that it was distorting the geometry of the  symbol! 

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 6 of 10
Alfredo_Medina

This article in my blog, about a different family, can help you to do this one:

http://planta1.com/forum/entry.php?1-How-to-create-a-North-symbol-that-rotates-with-a-parameter-with...

Message 7 of 10
IMCornish

Alfredo, your blog is just what I have been looking for, and is more or less what I have been doing, but I can't, however many times I try, lock the origin of the reference line to both horizontal and vertical reference planes. Revit will only ever show only one lock!

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 8 of 10
Alfredo_Medina

Within the limits of a forum, I think have already provided a good amount of help. If you need further assistance or training, please contact me by email.

Message 9 of 10
IMCornish

Alfredo,ignore my last post I believe I have done it!  Thanks a lot, really appreciated.

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK
Message 10 of 10
IMCornish

Sorry, I did not wish to overstay my welcome. Thank you anyway.

Andrew Robertson
Chartered Architect
Robertson Partnership
Truro. UK

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report