Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Imperial Families with Metric

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
1663 Views, 2 Replies

Using Imperial Families with Metric

Based in the UK and 3 weeks into Revit, I'm happy to see that 6.1 has a lot more metric, and specifically UK, content then 6.0 had. I hope that AutoDesk continues to build the Metric / UK content. In the mean time, I was wondering what are the implications of using Imperial families in a Metric drawing. Is this acceptable, or will it mess up my drawing files, or schedules, or something else? I assume there must be some disadvantages, otherwise why would Revit ship with both Imperial and Metric libraries?. Damian
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Imperial families will work in a metric project. Internally, revit families don't care what your units system is. All things are built real size, and Revit understands the conversions between units. You may find that the types defined for imperial, are not exactly as you would define them for metric since the dimension values tend to be rounded to reasonable imperial values. When used in a metric project the values will display correctly in metric, but may not represent typical values used in actual metric components. You are free to define new types with better metric dimensions either in the family file, or in a project. Other problems may include, names that represent US usage (the difference between speaking American, and speaking English:-)), and graphics that represent typical US methods rather than that of the UK. David Conant Autodesk Revit "Damo - BDP" wrote in message news:409eb180$1_2@newsprd01... > Based in the UK and 3 weeks into Revit, I'm happy to see that 6.1 has a lot > more metric, and specifically UK, content then 6.0 had. I hope that AutoDesk > continues to build the Metric / UK content. > > In the mean time, I was wondering what are the implications of using > Imperial families in a Metric drawing. Is this acceptable, or will it mess > up my drawing files, or schedules, or something else? > > I assume there must be some disadvantages, otherwise why would Revit ship > with both Imperial and Metric libraries?. > > Damian > >
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I am working with a metric model I needed some windows that wasn't in the typical Revit Metric UK range. However, I found an almost exact match on the AutoDesk web site http://revit.autodesk.com/library/html/index.html from the Andersen Corp 6.1 Library (400 series Casement). Using these window gives me what I want, however there is something very strange with the dimensions when I highlight the window. A dimension that should be 686mm is noted as 1728 (don't know what units). Similarly, a dimension that should be 970.7 is 2012 when I highlight the Andersen Corp window. It's in the right place, but I'm concerned if I need to edit / move the window later. What has happened? and what are these figures (some imperial conversion?) Thanks Damian "David Conant" wrote in message news:409fb85d$1_1@newsprd01... > Imperial families will work in a metric project. Internally, revit families > don't care what your units system is. All things are built real size, and > Revit understands the conversions between units. > You may find that the types defined for imperial, are not exactly as you > would define them for metric since the dimension values tend to be rounded > to reasonable imperial values. When used in a metric project the values will > display correctly in metric, but may not represent typical values used in > actual metric components. You are free to define new types with better > metric dimensions either in the family file, or in a project. Other problems > may include, names that represent US usage (the difference between speaking > American, and speaking English:-)), and graphics that represent typical US > methods rather than that of the UK. > > David Conant > Autodesk Revit > > "Damo - BDP" wrote in message > news:409eb180$1_2@newsprd01... > > Based in the UK and 3 weeks into Revit, I'm happy to see that 6.1 has a > lot > > more metric, and specifically UK, content then 6.0 had. I hope that > AutoDesk > > continues to build the Metric / UK content. > > > > In the mean time, I was wondering what are the implications of using > > Imperial families in a Metric drawing. Is this acceptable, or will it mess > > up my drawing files, or schedules, or something else? > > > > I assume there must be some disadvantages, otherwise why would Revit ship > > with both Imperial and Metric libraries?. > > > > Damian > > > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report