Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading Revit Server 2011 to Revit Sever 2012

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
clozada
1519 Views, 12 Replies

Upgrading Revit Server 2011 to Revit Sever 2012

All,

About one month before Revit Server 2012 was release, we successfully implemented our Revit Central Server and a Local Revit Server both running Revit Server 2011.  Thinking forward, does anyone know if a Revit Central Server runing 2011 will allow a Revit Local Server running 2012 to connect?  If not, does anyone know if upgrading from Revit Server 2011 to 2012 is fairly straightforward?

Thank you.

Tags (1)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
SeanBurke
in reply to: clozada

Haven't done it yet... but all I am sure of is the 2012 server setup is supposed to also support the Revit 2011 application for those projects that haven't yet upgraded. I would imagine though that both Central and Local servers need to be the same version.

Message 3 of 13
hermeytheelf

Yes we are very interested in this as well. I have been having a hard time finding any new information about Revit Server for 2012. We have one RCS with 7 projects and 60+ models on it (not including the archived models that I have tried to discourage). There are some pretty major shortcomings that we are really hoping get corrected for 2012

Message 4 of 13
hermeytheelf
in reply to: hermeytheelf

Additionally, I can't seem to find the revitserver2012 installation file anywhere. Robot Sad Not on the public site, subscription site or ADN site. Any clues???

Message 5 of 13
DarrenP

its on the product media

install tools & utilitys on the install screen

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 13
clozada

To give everyone an update, Revit Server 2011 is not upgradable... it requires you to uninstall 2011 first. 

To be safe, we generated new central files after the installation of Revit Server 2012.  So far, Revit 2011 files seem to work just fine.

Message 7 of 13
hermeytheelf
in reply to: DarrenP

Ah, if only I had the product media. I created deployments from the install files that I got from the ADN site. Tried to modify a deployment and the option is not there. Now running the install.exe again to see if I can get it there. Since I wrote this I found Ryans post on the Revit Clinic which helps

http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/04/revit-server-2012-new-features.html

Ran the install.exe again and found that I have to do this on the server. This is kind of a pain in the **** compared to when we installed RevitServer2011 on a Central Server and 24 Local Servers. We had a single install file that came with the SAP that allowed us to do that easily. Anyone from the factory listening and can you do something similar for us?

revitServer.png

Looking on the wikihelp

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Revit/enu/2012/Help/0000-Revit_In0/0076-Revit_Se76

I see nothing about upgrding existing RevitServer2011 installations. What is the process for this? Can we have mixed versions of RevitServer on our RevitServer network? I doubt it. How will this affect models that are on RS right now?

Message 8 of 13
leemichaelb

Hi all,

To confirm and expand upon the questions above...

All servers in a Revit Server network must be the same version, so a Revit Server 2011 instancecannot interoperate with a Revit Server 2012 instance.  However, Revit Server 2012 is fully backwards compatible with Revit itself, meaning that both Revit 2011 and Revit 2012 can be used concurrently (on different models, of course) with the same server.

The upgrade process is pretty straightforward: in essence, you simply uninstall the old Revit Server and install the new version in its place.  The primary cautionary element is to ensure you point the new install to the same project and cache locations.  (No harm will occur if you fail to do this, but you will lose the ability to access pre-existing data since the new server will be pointing to a different working directory.)

We are currently working to correct the omission in the wiki help re: the upgrade process and hope to resolve the issue in the near future.

Thanks,

Mike Lee

Revit Server QA

Michael B. Lee

Principal QA Analyst
Message 9 of 13
hermeytheelf
in reply to: leemichaelb

So are you saying that all of the models will need to be repopulated to the new Revit Central Server or I can uninstall the Revit Central Server 2011 and install the Revit Central Server 2012 without losing the data in the 'Project' folder?  

This has the potential to be a total nightmare as we have already been through it once. We moved our Central Server from one office to another which required a name change. The new Central Server had to be completely repopulated with 50+ Revit models. This involved saving detached copies of all models locally, redirecting all Local Servers, opening all models detached, placing them on the new Central Server, opening a local copy of every model and re-pathing all linked models only after all models had been repopulated (any tags that had been placed on linked models were also lost Smiley Mad

http://www.revitforum.org/showthread.php/927-Revit-Server-Replacing-a-Central-Server

Also, it would still be nice to have a lightweight installer to remove 2011 and install 2012 or even just to install Revit Server 2012. Running it from the Autodesk_Revit_Architecture_2012_English_Win_32-64bit.exe (3GB) file is pretty time consuming. Can we crack the installer open and just get a dedicated installer for RS2012 like we had for 2011 in the SAP (531MB)?

Message 10 of 13
DarrenP

upgrading from Revit Server 2011 to Revit Server 2012: http://revitclinic.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/04/upgrading-revit-server-2011-to-2012.html?utm_source...

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 13
nbbjAdmn
in reply to: DarrenP

We chose to install a separate Revit 2012 Central Server, instead of upgrading the current Revit 2011 Central Server. The test to  migrate a project from one server to the other ran pretty smoothly. Here is a summary:

1) Notify the team of the test project and migration test.

2) Make a copy the project folder from the Revit 2011 Central Server, lock that project, and then copy the project folder to the Revit 2012 Central Server.

3) Verify that the Revit Admn shows the copied project.

4) Change the Revit client variable to point to the new Revit 2012 Central Server.

5) Verify from the Revit client that the user can open and synchronize from the new server.

This test project involved 6 models, and 2.5 gb of Revit Server data. The overall process took about 3 hours to complete.

Message 12 of 13
hermeytheelf
in reply to: nbbjAdmn

What were the driving factors in this decision? Maybe so you can just upgrade one Local Server at a time? We have one RCS and 23 RLS so the thought of getting them all upgraded in a weekend does not sound like a lot of fun

Message 13 of 13
nbbjAdmn
in reply to: nbbjAdmn

The primary reason is because we cannot move all the projects at the same time period. So, we have to maintain two systems during the transition. I agree, migrating servers or projects manually will be tedius if you have many to do. My request is to have Autodesk develop a utility which allows server and project migration to be automated and scheduable.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report