Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unequal door leafs in Curtain Wall Door ?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
MKEllis
3881 Views, 5 Replies

Unequal door leafs in Curtain Wall Door ?

Having another mind-block.

I've setup a family for aluminium glazed doorset for use in Curtain Walling. It works fine, and adapts to suit opening size with equal leaf widths.

But, how can I create a wider leaf for one of the doors ?

I would like to setup a parameter in the family for a 'Master Door Leaf Width' (typically set at 1m) and a yes/no for "Equal Door Leafs".

So

If "Equal Door Leafs" = yes - the standard setup works.

If "Equal Door Leafs" = no - then the left leaf defaults to the "Master Door Leaf Width"

Curtain-Wall-Door.jpg

The trouble I'm having is that you don't appear to be able to drive the total door width from family parameters - as it is set by the curtain walling grid on placement.

I had thought to create a reporting instance parameter for the total width - then use a formula that if door leafs are equal leaf 1 = leaf 2 = total door width/2.

Trouble is it won't let me use a reported value in the formula, so I'm kinda stuck on how to get this to work.

Any ideas ?

Many thanks,

Martin

Having written the post - I realised that I could use a Visibility switch to alternate between Equal Leafs or preset unequal ones - but it feels like a bit of a cheat - there must be a more elegant solution  that drives the width of each leaf via forumlae ?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: MKEllis

• Remove the equal/equal dimension that comes with the template.
  • Unpin the center/vertical reference plane.
  • Measure the total width with a reporting parameter, such as "total width".
  • Control one of the two sides with a parameter, such as "width left".
  • Create a yes/no parameter such as "equal"
  • Set the "width left" parameter = if(equal, total width / 2, *
  • (replace * with another value of your preference).

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 6
MKEllis
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks Alfredo,

It won't let me delete the EQUAL dims (even after unpinning the central ref plane) - I can make them Unequal - but it then won't let me add a further dim as it would over-constrain.

Message 4 of 6
Alfredo_Medina

I don't see any problem deleting the equal/equal and/or unpinning the reference plane. Which template are you using?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 6
MKEllis

Thanks Alfredo, got it working.

bypassed not being able to delete the 'EQ' dim - by creating a new unused ref plane and fixing the EQ dim to that instead of the ref plane that actually drives the door leafs.

WORKING.jpg

Seems to work a treat now, bottom one is when 'Equal Door Leafs' = No, Top when Yes - Master door leaf set by Type Parameter.

Many Thanks Alfredo,

All the best,

Martin

Message 6 of 6
MKEllis
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Template used was "Metric Door - Curtain Wall"

Unpinning was OK - it just would let me delete the dim, got it working though without deleting it.

Martin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report