Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Underlay when wall is higher than one level...

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
1446 Views, 10 Replies

Underlay when wall is higher than one level...

Hello!

I have trouble showing Underlay for level view when dealing with in-place walls. Basically, they dont work with Underlays - nothing shows up (even in wireframe mode).

Please have a look at attached file, dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m3wescaac251f56/rvt_underlay.rvt

There is a Blend wall that starts on Ground level and goes as high as Top level. When you check whats visible on different levels (and RCPs) everything is fine (views respond to changing cut level and so on) - but when you try to Underlay one of the level views - nothing shows up. Basic idea is to show top edge for tracing with Linework tool - so it shows as Overhead.

Thanks for looking into it.

chris

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
L.Maas
in reply to: Anonymous

Chris,

I took a look at your file.

Your view range (cut plane) determines what part is shown from a object.

So as your wall is a single object going from ground to top your cut plane will determine what is shown.

If you would draw a wall from ground to mid and another from mid to top you could show the different walls by using underlay.

Further in case of a floor plan it is basically looking downwards. So a top floor will never show in a ground floor as underlay. A ground floor can be used as underlay for the top of mid floor.

For your problem. What you can do is do the tracing with linework tool of the top floor in the top floor itself.

After tracing you can select those lines and use cut and paste to move the trace lines to the ground floor.

Hope this helps.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: L.Maas

hello, thanks for your input.
"Your view range (cut plane) determines what part is shown from a object.".
i understand all that,
"Further in case of a floor plan it is basically looking downwards. So a top floor will never show in a ground floor as underlay. A ground floor can be used as underlay for the top of mid floor."
well, that is not true - it doesnt work as you expect (did u try to turn on the underlay: ground for top floor? doesnt work)
"What you can do is do the tracing with linework tool of the top floor in the top floor itself."
How do i maintain relation between traced lines and actual object? if i cant still use trace lines after altering object - it is not useful, because of constant re-tracing.

cheers
Message 4 of 11
L.Maas

"Further in case of a floor plan it is basically looking downwards. So a top floor will never show in a ground floor as underlay".

You are correct this is not correct, my mistake. A higher level can be overlayed on a lower level.

The problem with your wall is that it goes from ground floor to top. The overlay will not show the proile of the selected level as it is already shown on the view.

In the method I proposed a relationship can not be maintained.

An alternative solution might be the following:

Your wall is an in-place family. If inside the in-place family you would trace the top profile with symbolic lines. Those symbolic lines will show up on every level. You can lock those symbolic lines to the top-profile of the blend and, if not too extreme, will follow the wall profile if you modify the blend (slightly). For the mid-level the same can not be done as on the mid level the shown "wall profle" are interpreted lines. Then tracing/snapping is not as accurate and locking will not be possible.

The visibility of the symbolic lines can be controlled in different ways. As the symbolic lines are inside the same in-place family a (limited) relationship is maintained.

If this will be sufficient/appropriate will depend on your project needs.

Louis

EESignature

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous

to be honest this looks like a bug to me. option to see whats overhead (for walls that span more than one level in height) should be easliy available and it should be updated as i modify the design.
Message 6 of 11
L.Maas

Maybe you can put something on a wishlist like here or on the Augi Forums?

Maybe one final solution you might look into...

"View"->  "Plan Views" -> "Plan Region"

This would allow you to show a different view range in parts of your view.

Then it is posible to show parts of your wall as it is on the mid level in your ground floor view.

Louis

EESignature

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

😄 thanks, you are helping a lot, but we are not quite there 😄

you see, when using Plan Region i cant change the Linework without changing the original objects Linework!

Message 8 of 11
L.Maas

You are stretching my imagination 🙂

Is it something you only want to want to show on a sheet?

Then a possible solution might be to overlay two views on a sheet.

For example

-Make a view with the ground floor.

-Make view of the top floor. (or ground floor with a plan region of top floor)

-Put both views on a sheet on top of each other.

In one of the views you can make the wall with different linetypes (Graphic Overrides)

On the sheet you can even activate one of the views, work on the wall while the other view will be visible.

In attachment a screenshot were I have the view "ground" with the wall (black) and overlayed on a sheet the "ground with top", gorund  floor with plan region of top floor. In this view graphic override of the wall with dashed blue lines.

Louis

EESignature

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous

Thank you for your creative ideas!
I still think the process should be streamlined and more obvious. I posted it to feedback page.
Message 10 of 11
MKFreiert

is there any reason to not split the wall at a level to generate the line?

if not, the upper will then show on the underlay.

if there is, then this is an ideal place for a detail line.
Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

splitting this in-place wall is not an option (loosing flexibility)

can you elaborate on "best place for detail line" please?

cheers.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report