Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Underlay Plans when Linked Models

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
5979 Views, 5 Replies

Underlay Plans when Linked Models

Hi Guys.

My Revit model is 100% made up of Linked models (about 10) as we purely use it for documentation purposes. We have floor plans and in some of them we need to show an Underlayed Ceiling Plan. I realise that setting up "Underlay = Level X" and "Underlay Orientation = Reflected Ceiling Plan" doesn't work.

Anyone knows how this could be solved. How can I get an Underlay Plan to show up when my model is purely linked models.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
BIMAbhi
in reply to: Anonymous

You can do the following steps to see the Linked RCP as underlay:

After linking the file go to visibility settings > Revit Links > Display Settings > Make it Custom > Then go to the visibility settings and on the ceiling categoty from model categories.

Thanks & Regards
BIMAbhi
Message 3 of 6
Alisder.Brown

Unfortunately im pretty sure this cant be done. 

There are a couple of "workarounds" but none are overly efficent

1. In the origonal file, export a .DWG of the ceiling plan and link this into your "master" file, onto the required view. It works OK, untill there are any modifications ect so is not very "BIM'y" lol
  2. In your "master" file, you could "Copy/Monitor" the req objects in a ceiling plan then when you set your Underlay to show the RCP it will work (but this can take a while if there are alot of objects, and you may miss some)
  3. Duplicate the RCP you wish to use in the "master" file, in the visibility graphics, make the ceilings "90% transparent" and place it ontop of your Floor plan when on a sheet. You can play around with the settings to get it look how you want. But this way works the best i would say.

If you are using the 3rd method, you will be able to snap the RCP view to the center of the floor plan view on the sheet easily. You could always use a "Guide grid" if you wanted (see Paul Aubins post about Guide grids, it is brilliant http://paulaubin.com/blog/revit-guide-grids/ )

Just FYI, when i say "master" file, i mean the file with all your linked models in 🙂

Hope this helps

Alisder Brown
Senior BIM Coordinator
Scotland, UK

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: BIMAbhi

Thanks for your reply RNDPIS. Unfortunately I did not work. I think This is something to be develop by Autodesk.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Alisder.Brown

Thanks Alisder for your solutions all quite creative. Something that Revit encourage a lot. Try to find workaround to deliver the drawings that our clients want. I will get my head around to see which one of the workaround would work best.

Thanks 🙂
Message 6 of 6
minusculelighting

You can upvote this issue in the official Revit Ideas feedback forum, maybe it will get some attention:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/underlay-and-linked-files/idi-p/6379628

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report