Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unaccaeptable 2010 revit can not work with 2009 revit

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
An-Bar
210 Views, 11 Replies

Unaccaeptable 2010 revit can not work with 2009 revit

It is incredibleIt is incredible that 2010 Revit Version can't work 2009 version... I have been AutoCad user since 1995, after Architectural desktop now AutoCad Architecture, and I have gotten with Revit 2009 and have received the updated revit 2010, and I found the incredible news that 2010 can not save files in 2009, this is a big issue, because all my client and associates the has 2009 revit architecture or structure if I update my system to 2010 I am longer able to work with them because they can not open my files.
I can not understand how a big software developer as AutoCad never thought in that...or they thought and they never did nothing for fix this, this way force the revit user or never update or always get the update....I would like if this is legal or illegal.
There are a lot Engineers or Architect that can not effort updates and why Autodesk is force do it ...I think this is wrong...this make me think in cancel my updated subscription because there is not reason to be always updated if my clients or associates they are not updated...this in unacceptable.
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: An-Bar

Sorry no version Revit has ever been backwards
compatible. So you can have everyone work on the same version or you can try
exporting the 2010 version to IFC and open that in Revit 2009. If you are on
subscription you are allowed to continue using 2009 in addition to 2010. Autocad
Architecture 2010 is not backwards compatible either, it is just that
ACA's format changes every three years instead of anually.

style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
It
is incredibleIt is incredible that 2010 Revit Version can't work 2009
version... I have been AutoCad user since 1995, after Architectural desktop
now AutoCad Architecture, and I have gotten with Revit 2009 and have received
the updated revit 2010, and I found the incredible news that 2010 can not save
files in 2009, this is a big issue, because all my client and associates the
has 2009 revit architecture or structure if I update my system to 2010 I am
longer able to work with them because they can not open my files. I can not
understand how a big software developer as AutoCad never thought in that...or
they thought and they never did nothing for fix this, this way force the revit
user or never update or always get the update....I would like if this is legal
or illegal. There are a lot Engineers or Architect that can not effort updates
and why Autodesk is force do it ...I think this is wrong...this make me think
in cancel my updated subscription because there is not reason to be always
updated if my clients or associates they are not updated...this in
unacceptable.
Message 3 of 12
davidean

Hi An-Bar;

I have been observing all the discussion groups and blogs on Revit and I have found that everybody is finding out that a lot of us are asking the same basic questions on the down side of Revit when compared to ACA. It wasn't until we bought Revit 2009 that we found out about some differences between Revit and ACA. Evidently we didn't ask the right question or the store rep that come out and put on a Revit demonstration didn't tell us the down side of Revit. It was more like the latter. I have found this to be the same way with others who have had the reps come out and say squat about the down side of Revit. Mind you I'm not dogging Revit or ACA. I'm glad we bought it. It's just that the reps avoid telling you certain things like no backward compatibility and other little tid bits you find on the blogs. Even if we had known about it we still would have bought it. Just make sure your consultants have the same version or that you need to udgrade to their version of Revit. I have one question. Can different versions of Revit be imported into NavisWorks at the same time? Have a nice day.

Ray
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous

Yes, because they are expoted from Revit as NWC
files.

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
I
have one question. Can different versions of Revit be imported into NavisWorks
at the same time? Have a nice day. Ray
Message 5 of 12
asantedesign

We are experiencing multiple crashes and having the ability to save back to 2009 is critical to keeping the work flow. Subsciption tech support has no solution for the crash problem.
Message 6 of 12
davidean

Hi Scott;

Thanks for the information on the exporting of different Revit versions. Have a nice day.

Ray
Message 7 of 12
BruceHouck

I find it amazing that any firm or individual would take such a radical step when deciding to move to an entirely new platform. As was already atated, Revit has never been backward compatible so this is no secret. Everyone that is moving to Revit must be aware of all the issues with doing so. Production is our businesses bread and butter and changing the platform without being educated in the process is asking for trouble.

I can't even imagine the potential issues that would have to be addressed in trying to have a "SaveAs2009" command. You can also not compare Revit to AutoCAD or AutoCAD Architecture as it is a much more integrated system. As far as AutoCAD Architecture (ADT) is concerned, there have always been issues with proxy objects etc when saving backwards.

When it comes to Revit, you cannot compare it to AutoCAD. BIM processes just do not apply in our old CAD, drawing-based world. Trying to compare the two is like comparing a jet to the Wright Brother's airplane. A jet is much more complicated to use, but infinitely better. I do not know of any user I have trained that wanted to go back to AutoCAD/ADT after having used Revit -- no matter how good or bad their initial experience using the package was (and there are plenty of each). Those that were forced to use AutoCAD on their next assignment were begging to move to Revit within a week.
Message 8 of 12
rfrisch

Hi Bruce;

I agree. I've been dealt the privilege of becoming the Revit Guy for our company. After a year of self training and doing 3D of different AutoCAD projects then starting a new project in AutoCAD 2009 and following along with the same in Revit, our boss decided in mid stream to switch over to Revit. BAD DECISION. Problems with line weights (Anyone working for an Architect knows how value of line weights are, especially on plan views), still used AutoCAD for sections and details (I still haven't gotten line weights and details in Revit down yet). After the change to Revit and 3 days before our deadline. He changed back to AutoCAD and got it out on time. We would have done better staying with ACAD from beginning to end. I love Revit. After 19 years using AutoCAD, it's good to see a change in the way the design of a building is from Cad to BIM. My only suggestion is when a company does a change from ACAD to Revit is to do it slow (not to slow) get the training down pat and follow along with ACAD as the primary and Revit as the secondary, make sure that they closely matches your company standards. Then when the company is confident with Revit make the change. Unless you hire somebody the knows Revit. That is thought for the day. Have a nice one everybody.

Ray

P.S.

When I do spell check I always get a change promt for BIM to some other word. Could the caretakers for the discussion groups add BIM to the list? Once again thanks for listening to me and my comments and have a nice day.

Ray
Message 9 of 12
lbernacchi

Does anyone know if there is a document published by Autodesk that states that Revit Architecture is not backwards compatible? I did a quick search of the white papers with no luck.
Thanks for your help.
Lisa
Message 10 of 12
Matasovsky

If it's any consolation, our consultant gave us the "heads up" that you can't save back. There are a few decent authorized resellers out there 😉
Message 11 of 12
jsadams2

You may try to search the white papers on collaboration. I know that they talk about the importance of having all collaborators on the same version of Revit. They might just mention the fact that Revit cannot save to an older file format. I don't know if that will be enough to win the argument, but it is all I can think of.
Message 12 of 12
jsadams2

Remember Proxy objects? You may have been able to open files created in a newer version of Acad or ADT saved backwards in an older version, but you could not work on any of the newer proxied objects. Remember that Autocad is the result of decades of evolution, but all in a vector based world. New versions did new things and did old things in new ways, but in the end they were all just vectors. Revit is built on a database, meaning it is information driven. Each new version adds new data, and data structure that cannot be interpreted in previous versions. Even if you could open it in an older version you would have a lot of dumb "proxy" objects that you couldn't work with anyway. Trust me, having used Revit for 6 years now, you get used to it. As an Architect, I was always the one pushing my consultants to upgrade to the latest and greatest, so I could take advantage of all the new features. Now, however, I am finding that with the continued development of Structure and MEP flavors of Revit, they are pushing me to stay up to date, because they can now do things (especially MEP) that they really need to be able to do.... Hey, at least Autodesk has backed off of the "6 months between new releases" development cycle.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report