Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to create arrays of ceiling light fixtures in Revit 2013

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
mathewwindebank
4203 Views, 12 Replies

Unable to create arrays of ceiling light fixtures in Revit 2013

Has anyone else had trouble creating arrays of ceiling light fixtures in Revit 2013? It gives me this error message;

'Can't place inserts outside of hosts. These elements won't be copied'

I've adjusted all manner of settings to make sure the copies don't fall outside the limits of the host ceiling but without success.

It only occurs with linear arrays on ceilings not radial arrays for ceilings or linear or radial arrays for walls? I'd appreciate any feedback as I've tried everything.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

It is hard to know what is going on, since the problem might be specific to the project or the family, not to the general array tool. Perhaps you would need to post a reduced sample version of a project file where this situation is happening.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 13
ccollins
in reply to: mathewwindebank

Try creating a new project, with just 4 walls, a ceiling grid, and try arraying the lights.

If it works OK in the new project, then there is something wrong in your real project.

If it doesn't work in either project, the problem may be deeper.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 4 of 13

On further investigation I've noticed that some lights will array [and copy] while others will not, although the lights that won't copy will actually produce a copy if the mirror tool is used. The only difference I can see between the light families is that the lights that will copy are hosted [either by the ceiling or the level] and the other lights are not. Attached is a screen capture to help illustrate the situation. Lights 1 [circled in red] is a downlight strip type and Light 2 is a pendant light disk.

Note that all of the light families were loaded from the same library folder - Australia/MEP/Lighting\Architectural/Internal. I've also attempted the same function with lights from other library folders with no success.

Message 5 of 13

Based on your screen capture, I think the solution is to use a different ceiling type, instead of the "plain" type.

Because:

1. Your ceiling based light fixture family has a void that is supposed to cut the ceiling.
  2. The ceiling where you are placing this fixture family is the "plain" type, which does not have any thickness.

Therefore, the ceiling based light fixture with the void cannot cut a surface that does not have any thickness.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 13

Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, changing the ceiling from basic to a thicker type does not solve the problem. Some of the light fixtures I am trying to place do not have a void cut away.
Message 7 of 13

Then, you need to post a sample file with the lighting fixtures.

Message 8 of 13

I too am having difficulty with light fittings placed onto ceilings. I am working in an apartment building which contains numerous groups types. I can not place lights within the groups, or even copy them across typical apartments. Here are the problems I find:

1. Ceiling Hosted Lights can not be copied between differing ceiling hosts
  2. Ceiling Hosted lights can not be placed within groups with multiple instances.

I have tested all of my concerns in REVIT 2012 and works perfectly. I have tested my concerns using Default 2013 light fittings in a new project within 2013 and the problem still exists. It is clearly a 2013 issue.

Has anyone since that last message been able to resolve the issue?

Message 9 of 13

Something seems to have changed in Ceilings between 2012 and 2013. I was unable to copy (could mirror) lights around my plan.  After a bit of time trying different things it appears it's the material. If I removed the surface pattern from a ceiling that worked (one of the grid ceilings) then it stopped working.... so....... if I put any surface pattern against the ceiling material that isn't working and then change the colour to White so that the pattern is not actually visible then the problem is fixed.

Just tested the same thing in 2014 and unfortunately it is the same.

Message 10 of 13
losse
in reply to: adam.clarke

This may be old news, but if you select one or more fixtures and hold Ctrl, you are able to copy those selected instances of fixtures.

Message 11 of 13

Jesus this is retarded Autodesk.  It's easy to understand what the problem is because anyone who has ever tried to place a can light has run into this issue.  Why is it so hard to get answers?   Why doesn't the sh*t yall set up as default ever work right without modifiying something?  Does anyone really have a solution here or do we all have to create custom cielings to array a stupid can light?

Message 12 of 13
m7m5
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Amazing explanation. This is definitely it!!! 

Message 13 of 13
ToanDN
in reply to: m7m5

@m7m5 wrote:

Amazing explanation. This is definitely it!!! 

If the ceiling does not have a surface pattern then the error remains.  You just have to assign the ceiling with a material with any surface pattern (not solid) and the issue will be gone.  I had it and used the same fix as described by @adam.clarke back in Revit 2013.  I skipped 2014 so I didn't know if it was fix in that version.  2015 and newer are fixed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report