Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two joined roofs , overhang question

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
rlabib
2478 Views, 8 Replies

Two joined roofs , overhang question

Hi,

I have two sloped roofs that are joined as shown in the first image ( the site plan). The overhang of the roof on the left doesn't get trimed when the two roofs are joined as shown in the second image ( the section), how do I go about that to fix this problem ?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
LisaDrago
in reply to: rlabib

Hi - When you join the roofs together they do not automatically get trimmed - you have to do that yourself.

If you go to the Architecture>Opening>Dormer tool, pick the roof that needs 'cut', then in sketch mode - pick the roof you want to use to make the cut with (this will not be a closed sketch and that is okay in this instance) and then click the green check mark to finish. When you do this the roof will be cut.

I have attached an image from the bottom to show it.

Let me know how this worked for you.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 9
rlabib
in reply to: LisaDrago

Lisa,

Thanks, your suggestion is awesome, I didn't know such tool exists. However I tried and it didn't work for me , it kept giving me an error message saying" Dormer opening cut is not fully defined, cut was not performed" , so I tried Vertical opening and it worked , I didn't even notice the opening bar before I guess because I used to use revit  2008 , then I recently switched to 2013 

Message 4 of 9
LisaDrago

That is interesting that it didn't work - can you try it again and get the error and send a snapshot of it?

I am curious why it didn't work.

But I am glad you were able to get an opening in the roof.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
Message 5 of 9
rlabib

Here is a snapshot of the error. I have another question, after I made an opening in the roof using Vertical opening tool and I hit finish I needed to adjust the opening sketch , but there was no possible way to do that. I tried clicking ht roof and then I clicked edit footprint but all I got was the original roof outline . is there anyway to edit the sketch of the opening?

Message 6 of 9
LisaDrago

You will need to specifically select the opening - I have attached an image - once you select it in the ribbon you will have  options to edit it.

As for the dormer - when you selected the roof after selecting the command - in sketch mode did you pick the other roof that is attaching to it? If I don't pick the roof in sketch mode - I get that error - the image attached shows what I am talking about...

LD

Message 7 of 9
rlabib

I did excatly what you did but it is still not working for me , here is what I did

1- clicked Dormer opening button

2- clicked the big roof on the left ( the roof that need to cut), now I'm in sketch mode

3- selected the the other roof on the right , and I got two magenta lines showing where the cut will be made

4- hit finish ( the check mark)

still I get an error, I attached a screenshot of the magenta lines 

Message 8 of 9
LisaDrago

Okay - the differences I am seeing is my roof is at the same level - so it cuts a complete section out to the edge of the roof- where yours is sitting a little above the bottom - right? So it is not seeing what would be the bottom line. What I did was put a temp wall in place to use it to make the cut - once that was done I could delete the wall.

Image attached on what I did.

LD

Message 9 of 9
rlabib

The last soultion you mentioned worked . there was a wall in the project where I need to cut , I didn't need to create a new wall . So what I did is in the sktech mode I picked the wall and the roof edge to form a triangle and hit finish, it did the job . many thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report