Active Contributor
rlabib
Message 1 of 9 (679 Views)
Accepted Solution

Two joined roofs , overhang question

679 Views, 8 Replies
01-08-2013 06:32 AM

Hi,

I have two sloped roofs that are joined as shown in the first image ( the site plan). The overhang of the roof on the left doesn't get trimed when the two roofs are joined as shown in the second image ( the section), how do I go about that to fix this problem ?

*Expert Elite*
LisaDrago
Message 2 of 9 (615 Views)

Re: Two joined roofs , overhang question

01-11-2013 06:14 AM in reply to: rlabib

Hi - When you join the roofs together they do not automatically get trimmed - you have to do that yourself.

If you go to the Architecture>Opening>Dormer tool, pick the roof that needs 'cut', then in sketch mode - pick the roof you want to use to make the cut with (this will not be a closed sketch and that is okay in this instance) and then click the green check mark to finish. When you do this the roof will be cut.

I have attached an image from the bottom to show it.

Let me know how this worked for you.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Active Contributor
rlabib
Message 3 of 9 (599 Views)

01-11-2013 06:47 AM in reply to: LisaDrago

Lisa,

Thanks, your suggestion is awesome, I didn't know such tool exists. However I tried and it didn't work for me , it kept giving me an error message saying" Dormer opening cut is not fully defined, cut was not performed" , so I tried Vertical opening and it worked , I didn't even notice the opening bar before I guess because I used to use revit  2008 , then I recently switched to 2013 

*Expert Elite*
LisaDrago
Message 4 of 9 (594 Views)

01-11-2013 07:01 AM in reply to: rlabib

That is interesting that it didn't work - can you try it again and get the error and send a snapshot of it?

I am curious why it didn't work.

But I am glad you were able to get an opening in the roof.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
Active Contributor
rlabib
Message 5 of 9 (590 Views)

01-11-2013 07:14 AM in reply to: LisaDrago

Here is a snapshot of the error. I have another question, after I made an opening in the roof using Vertical opening tool and I hit finish I needed to adjust the opening sketch , but there was no possible way to do that. I tried clicking ht roof and then I clicked edit footprint but all I got was the original roof outline . is there anyway to edit the sketch of the opening?

*Expert Elite*
LisaDrago
Message 6 of 9 (578 Views)

01-11-2013 07:53 AM in reply to: rlabib

You will need to specifically select the opening - I have attached an image - once you select it in the ribbon you will have  options to edit it.

As for the dormer - when you selected the roof after selecting the command - in sketch mode did you pick the other roof that is attaching to it? If I don't pick the roof in sketch mode - I get that error - the image attached shows what I am talking about...

LD

Active Contributor
rlabib
Message 7 of 9 (557 Views)

01-11-2013 08:25 AM in reply to: LisaDrago

I did excatly what you did but it is still not working for me , here is what I did

1- clicked Dormer opening button

2- clicked the big roof on the left ( the roof that need to cut), now I'm in sketch mode

3- selected the the other roof on the right , and I got two magenta lines showing where the cut will be made

4- hit finish ( the check mark)

still I get an error, I attached a screenshot of the magenta lines 

*Expert Elite*
LisaDrago
Message 8 of 9 (543 Views)

01-11-2013 08:48 AM in reply to: rlabib

Okay - the differences I am seeing is my roof is at the same level - so it cuts a complete section out to the edge of the roof- where yours is sitting a little above the bottom - right? So it is not seeing what would be the bottom line. What I did was put a temp wall in place to use it to make the cut - once that was done I could delete the wall.

Image attached on what I did.

LD

Active Contributor
rlabib
Message 9 of 9 (528 Views)

01-11-2013 09:58 AM in reply to: LisaDrago

The last soultion you mentioned worked . there was a wall in the project where I need to cut , I didn't need to create a new wall . So what I did is in the sktech mode I picked the wall and the roof edge to form a triangle and hit finish, it did the job . many thanks

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you interested in helping shape the Autodesk Community?
We’re looking at a few different ways to improve the “All Forums” landing page and need your feedback! If interested, please take a few minutes to fill out the following Usability Study. Thank you for your time!

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube