Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble transfering View Templates and Filters between projects

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
duncan.lithgow
6589 Views, 17 Replies

Trouble transfering View Templates and Filters between projects

I'm having nightmares on a campus project Transfering my View Templates and Filters between our office standards project and each building project. Somone described the problem here in 2008: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Revit-MEP/Revit-Filters-are-being-renamed-randomly/td-p/27935... but I haven't found anything more recent in this forum.

The only solution I've found involves deleting all the View Templates and Filters that I have changed since I last transfered them before I transfer them again.

Can anyone tell me what's going on and what I can do about it?

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

Currently reading:

1. 2010: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?116367-Tranfer-Project-Standards-View-Template-Fail&highlight=...
  2. 2010: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?93772-View-Template-and-Transfer-Project-Standards/page2&highl...
  3. 2009: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?108400-View-template-settings-won-t-transfer-!-!&highlight=tra...
  4. 2008: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?86317-transfer-view-templates&highlight=transfer+filters

Thanks to Scott Womac (since deceased) for his tips on this problem. http://forums.augi.com/member.php?432-Scott-Womack

... and I found this on the related problem of renamed filters

1. 2007: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?53437-Random-filter-behavoir&highlight=transfer+filters (you'd think Autodesk would have fixed that by now...)

Time to read... I'll let you know how I get on once I'm back at work next week. I really need to get this to work. Love to hear anyones success stories.

Message 3 of 18

So here's what I've learned

* Settings for RVT links can give problems: read Transfer view templates (Augi 2008)

* Corruption in View Templates stops them transfering: read View Template and Transfer Project Standards (Augi 2010)

Advice

* Audit your source file if you have problems

* If you're using settings for RVT links make sure that you either link to a dummy rvt file in the template and then use Reload From, or that the same files with the same paths are referenced in the source project.

Hope that saves some people some headaches.

Message 4 of 18

Technical support says "I understand that view filters in view templates are not being transferred via Transfer Project Standards. This is a known issue that is logged with our Development group. One workaround we have found is to delete the view template you are trying to overwrite or update in the new project, then transfer the view templates and filters."

I have asked them where I can look at a list of known issues, I've looked many times without finding such a list.

Message 5 of 18

Filters is a separate item in the Transfer Project Standards list, apart from View Templates. Are you selecting both items from the list before doing the transfer? if you just select View Templates, the Filters won't be transferred.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 18

Hi Alfredo_Medina

Well spotted, I can see I forgot to mention that. As you say, they must be transfered at the same time, which is what I have done. But this problem is a real one which adsk knows about.

Message 7 of 18

Actually you've reminded me that I made a video for Technical Support to save me time convincing them that there actually was a problem. The whole procedure and the unexpected result can be seen here: http://screencast.com/t/nfmwzffr7L

Message 8 of 18

I have checked this in Revit 2014 and there is no change. The problem is not yet solved.

Message 9 of 18

I've now checked this in Revit 2016 and it looks like this is solved. Relevant Filters are transferred attached to the View Template that uses them, they don't need to be selected separately in the TPS dialogue. They also correctly overwrite the existing View Template and Filter setting of the same name. As an aside Autodesk has now also fixed the problem of Filters being renamed sometimes upon synchronizing. Thumbs up to Autodesk for fixing this one which is important for consistency in multi-file projects.
Message 10 of 18
rosskirby
in reply to: duncan.lithgow

Props to you, Duncan, for sticking with this thread for three years!

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 11 of 18
daniela

Hi Duncan, We seem to be having trouble transferring project standars (specifically view templates) from one project to another. We have tried everything we've found in this and other forums and nothing has worked. We are working in Revit 2016 and have succesfully transferred everything except view templates and the project browser organization.

It is absolutely necessary for us to continue working in the project since we're doing five construction manuals for five houses, each its own project file but all of them need to have the same views and format. 

Hope you can give us a hand. Thanks!

Message 12 of 18
duncan.lithgow
in reply to: daniela

Hi Daniela

I hope I can help you out a bit here. As long as it's about using TPS with View Templates, then I guess this is the thread to use...

Can you reproduce the problem with essentially empty files?

Message 13 of 18
jasonium

We are experiencing this on Revit 2017 and are unable to transfer view templates and filters without the filters breaking. The filters are associated to levels, and the level names are the same in the host and target files. 

I would think that this would have been addressed by now!!!!

Our template has nearly 30 view templates which are applied to a large amount of views, and to roll these out we would have to go thru the target, deleted the view templates and filters, then transfer, then go thru each view and apply the templates. With a library of several hundred plans which need updating, this is an insane amount of work. 

Message 14 of 18
dbrainard
in reply to: jasonium

We are also experiencing a similar issue with Revit 2017. We can get Filter information to carry over into the destination project, however the specific Filter override settings in each View Template are eliminated and need to be reworked from scratch (By this I mean any line weight, color or hatch behavior). 

Does anyone know of any Add-On Tools or methods for helping to maintain parody between multiple projects? The CTC Tools appear to have some of this figured out, but it's still a fairly piece-meal process.

Feature Request:

It would be a nice enhancement for future builds, if you could offer the Revit user the ability to "Lock" those override settings to the Filter, kind of like the difference between Type and Instance behavior. 

Thanks!

Message 15 of 18
Meelis123
in reply to: dbrainard

I had the same problem with Revit 2018. New View Templates are transferring fine with all the filters. But if I make a change to the filters, Revit does not recognize this change and this particular View Template is not updated like it has not been changed. The workaround was that I made some unnecessary change to the View Template, for example unchecked the Underlay Orientation parameter. Revit now recognized this change and updated the View Template with correct filter settings.

Message 16 of 18
artejon
in reply to: dbrainard

@renderguy wrote:

We are also experiencing a similar issue with Revit 2017. We can get Filter information to carry over into the destination project, however the specific Filter override settings in each View Template are eliminated and need to be reworked from scratch (By this I mean any line weight, color or hatch behavior). 

Does anyone know of any Add-On Tools or methods for helping to maintain parody between multiple projects? The CTC Tools appear to have some of this figured out, but it's still a fairly piece-meal proces.

Thanks!

My add-in View Filter Manager deals with transferring/updating view templates and filters together with filters' overrides between multiple projects. I believe it can solve your problems.

Revit add-ins: CAD Purger (delete UNUSED and selected line patterns & line styles, find and delete CAD), Rooms To Spaces, Schedule Utilities (Calculated Values/Combined Parameters To Tags, reuse view filter rules in schedule filters), View Filter Manager at Revit Apps Store
Message 17 of 18
duncan.lithgow
in reply to: Meelis123

Yes, sometimes Revit needs us to give it a kick by making a more
substantial change
Message 18 of 18
ankerj

We are still having issues with this in Revit 2021 and 2023.  Is there any new information on it?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report