Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toposurface Updating Best Practices?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
RTJMartin
1697 Views, 2 Replies

Toposurface Updating Best Practices?

Hello,

I'm looking for some Best Practice suggestions, tips, tricks, etc for updating Toposurfaces.

I'll give you a rundown on what I've done;

- Created a surface in Civil 3D.

- Extracted just the contours to a separate *.dwg file.

- Inserted the *.dwg file into Revit using the Link CAD command.

- Moved and rotated the linked contours as required to get them positioned correctly in Revit.

- Generated the Toposurface by selecting the CAD link using Modify\Edit Surface - Create from Import - Select Import Instance.

Everything works as it should and the resultant Toposurface was as expected.

I had to update the surface. I used Civil 3D to do so, so that I would be sure to get the proper results. Once updated, I extracted the contours and updated the same separate *.dwg file that is linked into my Revit model.

I was hoping that since the Toposurface in Revit is based on the linked *.dwg file, the Toposurface would updated because the contours in the linked file were updated. This of course didn't happen.

To get the updated Toposurface, I went through the steps again of linking the *dwg file and generating the Toposurface. Ended up with 2 surfaces, so I just deleted the old one.

It worked, but somehow this doesn't seem like the correct procedure to me. Is there something I missed to get the Toposurface to update based on updated linked file?

Any comments, suggestions, tips, tricks, best practice procedures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
maciejwypych
in reply to: RTJMartin

@RTJMartin wrote:

- Moved and rotated the linked contours as required to get them positioned correctly in Revit.

Hi,

I woundn't recommend moving the surface in Revit. You should use shared coordinates instead, so it will import always in the correct location.

As for the rest. I'm guessing that the topo you are working on is a proposed one? Existing doesn't change that often Smiley Wink

If you want to have  an instant update on the linked topo, you can create the surface in Civil, create an in-place topo family in Revit, link your file.

Et voila!, it will update everytime you change it in Civil 🙂

Hope this helps,

Maciej

Message 3 of 3
RTJMartin
in reply to: maciejwypych

Hi Maciej,

The directions I was following said to link a CAD file of the contours, never thought to linking the C3D file. Now that you mention it, it makes sense. Specially if there is a chance the C3D surface will update.

Yes, you are correct. I'm referring to a proposed surface.  And yes, I used the Shared Coordinates when I linked the contour file the second time.

Thanks for the tip regarding linking the C3D file. I'll give that a go next time.

Richard

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report