Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Topo surface not working

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
NigelParsons4560
4682 Views, 4 Replies

Topo surface not working

Hello again,

For some reason I cannot generate a topo surface using the attached autocad file.

The levels are on a layer called LEVELS.  The points next to the levels are on layer "0".

Some of the levels are negative ... ie: below sea level.

No topo surface gets generated and no error message appears.  What am I doing wrong?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
L.Maas
in reply to: NigelParsons4560

Hi,

I believe Revit has problems with creating toposurfaces directly from Autocad when there are only points available.

It works when there are contour lines available in the drawing.

Revit can create toposurface from a point file.

There is thus a solution if you have access to Autocad.

In autocad isolate layer 0 with all your points.

Do a data extraction on the points (use TABLE command). See some screenshots for some settings.

If everything is ok you will end up with a csv file of point coordinates that you can read in Revit and convert to a topo surface.

Please note that I converted the drawing to metric to avoid inch and feet symbols in the csv file. The ' and " will create problems when reading the data.

After importing the csv file in revit you end up with something like in the last screenshot.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 3 of 5
NigelParsons4560
in reply to: L.Maas

Thanks for the reply.

That's really disappointing that Revit can't work with points in an AutoCAD drawing to create the Topo surface.

As I've only got 20 or so spot levels across this site, I'm going to create the surface by adding the points one-by-one. 

Thanks for the advice anyway.

Message 4 of 5
L.Maas
in reply to: NigelParsons4560

Hi,

I looked once more in your autocad file. As far as I can see there are around 240 ponts on level 0.

Am I missing something?

I have exported those points to a csv file and imported those in Revit.

Attached the CSV file (in decimal inches) and Revit file with toposurface.

Louis

EESignature

Please mention Revit version, especially when uploading Revit files.

Message 5 of 5
NigelParsons4560
in reply to: L.Maas

Hi Enllnt,

Thanks again for your reply.  I have saved both files to my PC.  Unfortunately, I'm currently using Revit 2013 so the .rvt file won't open.  I'm on subscription but only upgrade my PC every second year.  The 2014 USB drive remains unopened on the bookshelf.

I shall follow you instructions to use the .csv file early next week.

Thanks again for all your help.

N.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report