Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Texture alignment

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
shawn
505 Views, 3 Replies

Texture alignment

I realize this issue has been muched discussed, but I haven't seen my particular issue addressed. Which is...

I have a pretty streight forward structure; concrete floors / cols / and walls with five levels and a parapet. But the complicated part is the brick facade. Each floor has setbacks and offsets, etc., plus there are brick pillasters, horizontal beams and other dimensional details, i.e. there are few large flat wall sections.

So to model this I had to create a lot of small or narrow vertical and horizontal wall instances - all from the same 100mm brick wall. My issue is, as you might expect - the brick patterns are all over the place, and there are dark lines between stacked wall elements where the walls cannot be joined, this is especially noticable in elevation.

I know that the patterns can be aligned individually using the align tool, I've done a bit of this, but this is really complicated to track with so many instances and it will take litterally hours.

My quesions is this... Is there any way to select all instances of the wall type and perform a univeral align operation on the surface pattern of all instances at the same time??? Please tell me there is.

Much obliged.

SG.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
alan.quinn
in reply to: shawn

I not aware of any universal way to aligning all pattern at once, but try this:

1. Create a new brick material and change the color to something other than red
  2. Duplicate your brick wall and change the material to the one you just created
  3. Change the wall that you want to use to align everything all other too
  4. Set the Visual style to Shaded with edges
  5. Now you can see your master wall, and you can align to it

At least this way you won’t get lost in the sea of brick! See image for an example.

Let me know if this helps, and thank you for posting.

Message 3 of 4
shawn
in reply to: alan.quinn

Thank you Alan, as always your suggestions are helpful. Even if it isn't what I wanted to hear. I think the developers are going to be busy for a long time working through all the functional improvements that are needed to make this product truly great.

Thanks again. I've included an image this time to give you a better idea of what I'm up against. Maybe someone can feel sorry for me.... but more productively, maybe you know a work flow method so I can aviod this issue in the future.

Regards.

SG.

Message 4 of 4
alan.quinn
in reply to: shawn

Eeeeks…I feel your pain. I don’t have a work flow that will avoid this….except don’t use brinks ;-). Perhaps breaking the walls down into smaller groups might help. Use my method to establish the master coursing, lock and align a bunch of wall to it and then lock all these walls as a group. Then move on and create another group. I just tested and one of the benefits is if it’s in a group, you know it’s already aligned and if you accidently try to align it again, you will know as a portion of your building will move on you!

Hope this helps and thanks you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report