Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surface Subregion

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
RichardJenkins
1419 Views, 5 Replies

Surface Subregion

Hi All

I have placed two surfaces, one surface is the ground surface, the second surface is 9.5m above the ground surface.

The higher surface is used as a maximum building height above ground and I modify this surface in the elevations to represent a red dashed line.

My problem is that when I add a subregion it attaches to the higher surface and not the ground surface.

Does anyone know how to move the subregion surface down to the ground surface?

Rick

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Rick

This seems like astrange way to indicate maximum building height. It would be much more efficent to simply draw a level line with no floor plan or simply a red dashed line to indicate this, why do you use a toposurface to show this?

Anyway, to answer your question, im assuming you are putting the sub-region in a plan view (site). Simply move the surface you dont want to sketch on out the way, draw your sub region on the other surface then move the other back. But like i said, im not sure why you are using a surface to indicate the maximum building height? :S

hope this helps

Alisder Brown
Senior BIM Coordinator
Scotland, UK

Message 3 of 6
arunag
in reply to: Alisder.Brown

Agree with Alisder that there are other ways of indicating maximum Building height. Still if you want to keep two surfaces above one another and put subregion to the bottom one,

*Select the top Toposurface...make group...change group to link(option availab...just give the option replace with new file and give a name(this will make the top Toposurface a linked file without moving it)

*Now put the subregions, they will go to the bottom surface.

* Once done with the subregions, Bind the link & Ungroup.

Aruna
School of Architecture
Ramaiah Institute of Technology
Bangalore
Message 4 of 6

Hi
Thanks for your reply. I will try this.
The reason why I am using a surface is because the building can not exceed
9.5m above the existing ground surface.
I would normally draw lines 9.5m above the natural ground line on the
elevation.
I thought it would be easier and more accurate to copy the existing ground
surface 9.5m in the z direction.
Message 5 of 6

Also further to my post, the existing ground surface is sloping, so no part of the building can exceed 9.5m above the existing ground surface,

I copied the existing surface 9.5m above and modify it in the 3d view to be semi-transparent, this allows me to see which parts of the building exceed (if any) 9.5m above existing ground. I also modify the surface in the elevations views to represent a red dashed line.

If there is another solution please advise.
Message 6 of 6
arunag
in reply to: RichardJenkins

Yes you can create a Site component family from Site.rft template. It can have the red line using a model line or simple extrusion to a certain height. The height can be a parameter you can label & change. Place this component in site plan view, it will put the Indicator line to the height you have given in parameter. when you check on section or elevation you can check if building is cutting this line or not.

All site components will respect the contour heights, so even if sloped site, the height indicator component will get placed appropriately on toposurface in plan, & it will show the line at the specified height in elevation.

Attached a rfa file  (though crude you can improvise on it)

Aruna
School of Architecture
Ramaiah Institute of Technology
Bangalore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report