Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sun Study - Inside

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
danepower
1570 Views, 10 Replies

Sun Study - Inside

Hi,

I need to conduct a sun study of a living room. The obvious solution is to turn the roof off, however this does not give an accurate represntation. I need the roof to be included in the study, but not visible.
I thought this was a view range issue, but cant get it to work.
Any suggestions?

Thanks, Dane.
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
melarch
in reply to: danepower

Use a camera inside the space or a section box..

Mel Persin, AIA
AEC Technology Consultant
Technology to Visualize and Realize Solutions
Modeling the Future/Drafting the Past
Message 3 of 11
danepower

Mel,

Thank you for your reply. I cannot however attain the desired result using these methods.
Camera inside the space only gives me a perspective within that bounded room. I am actually trying toachieve a full floor plan.
I cannot get a section to work in the plane of the floor plan. Is this done differently to generating a normal section?

Thanks again.

Regards, Dane.
Message 4 of 11
melarch

Have you tried selecting the windows or openings using the Daylights tool on the Rendering tab of the Design bar to let light come through into your interior. This should produce shadows in the interior from the windows. Also run radiosity solution for calculating both exterior and interior lighting.

Mel Persin, AIA
Message 5 of 11
melarch

I should ask if you are just trying to get a black and white shadow study or a rendered shadow study. Because the Advanced Modeling Shadow only does a shaded or black and white (hidden line) shadow study. To get a rendered shadow study you will have to reset your scene for location and date/time to create a number of renderings and save the renderings to jpg or some other file format, then take all of teh jpg files and place them into an AVI file. For this you will need some video editing software. Or you could use VIZ or 3DMax to to the same.

Mel Persin, AIA
Message 6 of 11
danepower

Mel,

I am looking to get a black and white / hidden line shadow study, for functional purposes only. Basically i want a floor plan with shadows as you would see them in real time (ie. not without a roof!!!)

Thank you again for all repsonses,
Dane.
Message 7 of 11
melarch

Use a section box and set the roof to be t
Message 8 of 11
melarch

Sorry postd the reply, but it did not work out for what you want. I am not sure you can get a sun study of floor plan interior view that shows shadows and light on the interior. The moment you make a component as a roof, invisible, you ahve removed that element from acting on the light source for shadows. It would appear that the shadow and sun studies tools were not designed to accommadate what you are trying to accomplish. Time for a wish to be submitted.

Mel Persin, AIA
Message 9 of 11
toni

I am trying to render interior solar 1 day studies, and am not getting any shadows showing in the movie, what do I need to do to fix this? I was able to do the studies with no problem in 3D view.
For the interior studies, I am using section views.
Message 10 of 11
melarch

Only 3D views can be used for rendered or shadow day or year studies. To use a floor plan, create a 3D view and in the view properties turn on (check) Section box, then use the section box top plane control arrows to cut into the 3D model to the floor you want to shadow. Place the view into a top view orientation

You can also set the 3D view with the section box to match another view (see View menu Orientation, select view).

Make sure the surface plane is set to the level you want so th shadows fall on the right level.

Mel Persin, AIA
Modeling for the Future/Drafting in the Present/Building on the Past
Message 11 of 11
toni

I gave up and just used a camera to do the view I wanted. Of course it is a bit distorted in order to get the approximate width I needed for the image, but at least I was able to get the shadows to show.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report