Revit Architecture

*derek.p
Message 1 of 6 (1,595 Views)

Stair handrail extensions

1595 Views, 5 Replies
02-15-2004 10:15 PM
I am assuming that that there isn't any way to do a handrail extension that doesn't connect to the floor - kinda like a rotated u shape that extends 23" out from the nosing as per code? I understand that you can do an "edit sketch" to an existing stair and add a hand railing that has a fluid attachment but that is hardly the case with stair handrail extensions. ADA requires an extension on one side of the rail on a stair per landing, it seems to me that Revit should have this automatically in their stair sketch command. I should not have to take the time do to a solid sweep to create this. Oh, and I have some other beef on how the railings wrap as you go up flights of stairs. Hand rail height on a stair railing in some cases need to jog vertically to meet the guardrail height on the landings. Revit does this but there is a better and cleaner way to detail this transition. If anyone is interested I can show them but it doesn't work through Revit. -Revit 6.0 no longer shows the verticle jogs??
*Christopher Zoog
Message 2 of 6 (1,595 Views)

Re: Stair handrail extensions

02-16-2004 07:29 AM in reply to: *derek.p
Derek, Check out the stair samples and related families here: (watch for word wrap) http://revit.autodesk.com/library/html/Revit%206.0%20Subscription%20Library/ Balusters/index.html as of 6.0 what you are asking for can be done right in the railiing sketch. Use the special baluster families as a "post" to end the railiing. Z. "derek.p" wrote in message news:40305ff5_1@newsprd01... > I am assuming that that there isn't any way to do a handrail extension that > doesn't connect to the floor - kinda like a rotated u shape that extends 23" > out from the nosing as per code? I understand that you can do an "edit > sketch" to an existing stair and add a hand railing that has a fluid > attachment but that is hardly the case with stair handrail extensions. ADA > requires an extension on one side of the rail on a stair per landing, it > seems to me that Revit should have this automatically in their stair sketch > command. I should not have to take the time do to a solid sweep to create > this. > > Oh, and I have some other beef on how the railings wrap as you go up flights > of stairs. Hand rail height on a stair railing in some cases need to jog > vertically to meet the guardrail height on the landings. Revit does this but > there is a better and cleaner way to detail this transition. If anyone is > interested I can show them but it doesn't work through Revit. > > -Revit 6.0 no longer shows the verticle jogs?? > >
*derek.p
Message 3 of 6 (1,595 Views)

02-18-2004 11:47 PM in reply to: *derek.p
Nice! That helps! But I still think the stairs sketch command needs some work. My students will appreciate this... I'll have to put a list together with all my beefs about Revit for you all to tackle!! "Christopher Zoog" wrote in message news:4030e131$1_3@newsprd01... > Derek, > > Check out the stair samples and related families here: (watch for word wrap) > > http://revit.autodesk.com/library/html/Revit%206.0%20Subscription%20Library/ > Balusters/index.html > > as of 6.0 what you are asking for can be done right in the railiing sketch. > Use the special baluster families as a "post" to end the railiing. > > Z. > > > > "derek.p" wrote in message > news:40305ff5_1@newsprd01... > > I am assuming that that there isn't any way to do a handrail extension > that > > doesn't connect to the floor - kinda like a rotated u shape that extends > 23" > > out from the nosing as per code? I understand that you can do an "edit > > sketch" to an existing stair and add a hand railing that has a fluid > > attachment but that is hardly the case with stair handrail extensions. ADA > > requires an extension on one side of the rail on a stair per landing, it > > seems to me that Revit should have this automatically in their stair > sketch > > command. I should not have to take the time do to a solid sweep to create > > this. > > > > Oh, and I have some other beef on how the railings wrap as you go up > flights > > of stairs. Hand rail height on a stair railing in some cases need to jog > > vertically to meet the guardrail height on the landings. Revit does this > but > > there is a better and cleaner way to detail this transition. If anyone is > > interested I can show them but it doesn't work through Revit. > > > > -Revit 6.0 no longer shows the verticle jogs?? > > > > > >
*Greg Cashen
Message 4 of 6 (1,595 Views)

02-19-2004 12:05 AM in reply to: *derek.p
If you get a stair working the way you like, it may take a while, but then you just transfer that stair family into your template and forget about it. It is very easy the next time around. "derek.p" wrote in message news:40346a0e$1_2@newsprd01... > Nice! That helps! But I still think the stairs sketch command needs some > work. My students will appreciate this... I'll have to put a list together > with all my beefs about Revit for you all to tackle!! > > "Christopher Zoog" wrote in message > news:4030e131$1_3@newsprd01... > > Derek, > > > > Check out the stair samples and related families here: (watch for word > wrap) > > > > > http://revit.autodesk.com/library/html/Revit%206.0%20Subscription%20Library/ > > Balusters/index.html > > > > as of 6.0 what you are asking for can be done right in the railiing > sketch. > > Use the special baluster families as a "post" to end the railiing. > > > > Z. > > > > > > > > "derek.p" wrote in message > > news:40305ff5_1@newsprd01... > > > I am assuming that that there isn't any way to do a handrail extension > > that > > > doesn't connect to the floor - kinda like a rotated u shape that extends > > 23" > > > out from the nosing as per code? I understand that you can do an "edit > > > sketch" to an existing stair and add a hand railing that has a fluid > > > attachment but that is hardly the case with stair handrail extensions. > ADA > > > requires an extension on one side of the rail on a stair per landing, it > > > seems to me that Revit should have this automatically in their stair > > sketch > > > command. I should not have to take the time do to a solid sweep to > create > > > this. > > > > > > Oh, and I have some other beef on how the railings wrap as you go up > > flights > > > of stairs. Hand rail height on a stair railing in some cases need to jog > > > vertically to meet the guardrail height on the landings. Revit does this > > but > > > there is a better and cleaner way to detail this transition. If anyone > is > > > interested I can show them but it doesn't work through Revit. > > > > > > -Revit 6.0 no longer shows the verticle jogs?? > > > > > > > > > > > >
Valued Contributor
Message 5 of 6 (1,595 Views)

05-04-2008 11:48 AM in reply to: *derek.p
Yr link is not working
erfagan
Message 6 of 6 (644 Views)

04-17-2013 01:51 PM in reply to: *Christopher Zoog

To anyone:  I have both 2013 and Revit Architecture (2013).  I am trying to make ADA handrail extensions on  my stairs.  Autodesk has a video on Wiki that shows how to do it, BUT I don not have the 'termination' pull down on my 'type properties' box.

Can anyone tell me what is going on?

Thank you- Eugene

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube