Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stacked or Full-Height Exterior walls?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
bt1138
1216 Views, 4 Replies

Stacked or Full-Height Exterior walls?

What is the general opinion on exterior walls, do people like to stack them, floor be floor or run them full height?

I assume it can work either way, so what would be the plusses or minuses of the 2 approaches in Revit?

I've been going full-height on our first few projects, but sometimes that seems hard to keep track of when the exterior walls is complex, it gets hard to keep track of them and there are a lot of weird profile edits that need to be made. And stacking has its own set of things I dont like.

What do others like to do?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
cvandevere
in reply to: bt1138

I run all walls full height if the material is the same. If you are working with different wall materials then you can either stack them or embed one wall in another. Additionally there is also a stacked wall feature in Revit where 2 or more walls of differing thicknesses and heights are stacked on top of each other.

CDV
Message 3 of 5
jbc
Enthusiast

Full height walls tend to help keep the file size down. When modeling repetitive floor plates in a multi storey apartment for example I model external wall full height and only use groups for repetitive internal layouts and include internal walls and doors plumbing fixtures etc only. This allows more flexibility if the external farbic of the building changes with finishes, window configurations etc but the internal layout remains the same. 

I also tend to look at it from a construction point of view. For example a lift core wall will generally be constructed full height. If an external wall runs past slab edges floor framing etc then I will model it full height.

If there are parts of the external all with different materials, applied finishes ie aluminium cladding then I will model that as a separate wall. I have better control that way on the extent and wrap around detailing, grid patterns. joint locations etc.

Gregg Jettner

Message 4 of 5
lawrencerobinson5

My preference is stacked walls.  I just find it easiest to keep all levels of walls on the same location and to really make sure that the walls are being modeled the way I want them to be. 

I do think this a matter of user preference, it's the sort of thing that everyone can come up with an arguement as to why their preferred method is best.

This is why it's nice to be the one in charge of setting standards.

Lawrence

Message 5 of 5
bt1138

Thanks all for the advice.

It seems that it is just a question of skill and experience in making the right choice.  Sigh.

BT

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report