Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Square/Rectangular Pipe: Is there a System Pipe this shape

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
sam.z
6936 Views, 7 Replies

Square/Rectangular Pipe: Is there a System Pipe this shape

Hello

I need to creates Culverts. A culvert is a rectangular storm water or sewerage drainage pipe but other than its shape (rectangular instead of round) it will behave exactly like a 'Standard System Pipe'. Is there a system pipe or anything in Revit I can use as a culvert (PLEASE dont say use ducts!). Please consult the picture below for what a culvert looks like.

The most important features of a Culvert are:
- The start of the pipe(culvert) will always have a different elevation to the end
- When I select the pipe(culvert) I want the pipe type/class to be either a Pipe or a Plumbing Fixture (See picture)

Is there any such pipe in Revit 2013 or 2014?

If the only solution is to create a Family; how can I create a Family that inherits from a Pipe (as opposed to a Generic Line, Plumbing Fixture, etc.)?

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: sam.z

Revit does not let us create pipes that are not round. Therefore, this could be a line-based family, classified as plumbing fixture, if that's the category that you need. If necessary, the family could have connectors, so that you can connect pipes to it (round pipes).

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 8
sam.z
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thanks for your reply 🙂

How can I create a Line Based Plumbing Fixture Family? Every Plumbing Fixture family I make is always point based by default? If you could provide a step by step instruction it would be greatly appreciated.

For example; my step by step procedure below always fails(creates a point based family):

- Select create new Family

- Select Plumbing Fixture family template

- Create my culvert using extrusions

- Import family into a project: I can only place the FamilyInstance using 1 point not 2, ie the family is point based not line based

Any advice would be extremely helpful

Wait, but if I use a  Line Based family; can I create a FamilyInstance whose start elevation is different to the end elevation? Ie can I create a line thats not flat? I dont think you can using a Line Based family, am I correct?

Message 4 of 8
Alfredo_Medina

What is a point based family? Never heard of that.

Yes, a line based family can have different elevations at start and end. You just have to place it in an elevation view.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 8
sam.z

Generic Model Based Families are point based, ie, their underlying geometry (LocationPoint, LocationLine, LocationCurve) is 1 point as opposed to a line. Ie, when you place it you specify 1 point whereas when you place a line based family you specify 2 points (strt and end)

Message 6 of 8
Alfredo_Medina

OK, now I see what you mean by "point based" family. It's just that it is not one of the names used in the templates. There is a line-based template, but there is no point-based template. All right, now what's next. What is it that you don't understand about the line-based template?

Message 7 of 8
sam.z

Thanks for your replies 🙂

I understand the line based template fine. The problem is that if you have a Family that uses a Line-Base template (Generic Model) and create a instance of that family; you cannot make the start of that line have a different elevation to the end (when creating the instance and when editting it after its created).

I believe you said above that 'a line based family can have different elevations at start and end'. How can I do this? Could you provide step by step instructions? I have tried numerous ways with no success - the family instance is always flat. Please see my family (of a generic cylindrical extrusion); its been impossible for myself to make the start have a different elevation.

Message 8 of 8
Alfredo_Medina

A line-based family, if it is work-plane based, can be placed on an elevation view, and therefore the user can specify different elevations for the start and end point.

3-10-2014 7-45-32 AM.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report