Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splitting up a main file

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
DavidFinaut
530 Views, 1 Reply

Splitting up a main file

Dear,

We are starting a project with Revit Architecture and we'd like to know what's the best way to split up the project.
We want 1 Main file divided into several sub files, to make the hole project as light as possible!
Shall we make a file for every building and then link them into the main file? (But then we cn't see the roomtags anymore!) Or shall we divide into zones? (But then we can't compute roomvolumes due to the open walls!)

Any suggestions would be very helpfull,

Greetings,

David
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
aogata
in reply to: DavidFinaut

I have a project where we have started with 1 model and then split into 5 models.
I would recommend you split the model by team and package. (If you have a team per building and packages are generally aligned by package then break the models by building)
In my experience, room tags have not been an issue as each team only needs to show tags for its own building.

Each model has the other models linked into it.
We have a blank file with all files linked into it to track areas.
this blank file also generates the sheet index

A few recommendations:
1.- Have a robust sheet naming standard. You will only be able to see the sheets in the live model, so you want to be sure there will be no duplicates or issues there.
2.- Do not link live Central files, apparently Revit can not handle this (If anyone can disprove this, please let me know). We have learned that this causes links to disappear or generate errors. Instead create "stand alone" copies of the central file and link those.
3.- Compute campus wide data (like room volume) in the composite blank file.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report