Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sorting in Revit Schedules

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
jverdugt
4746 Views, 10 Replies

Sorting in Revit Schedules

I am wanting to sort by more than 4 parameters in a single schedule.  Revit 2012 only has 4 options.  Can more be added?

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: jverdugt

No. Any more info on what you are trying to do?

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 11
alan.quinn

Just following up on Alfredo’s post. Without more information it’s impossible to make recommendations and/or suggestions.

Message 4 of 11
jverdugt

Thanks for the reply.  We were able to figure out a way to work around this to the accuracy we needed. 

Message 5 of 11
lena.v

Hi, how did you solve this? We have the same problem.

We have a schedule listing window information, e.g. Window Type F01.

We sort our Schedule by:

Type Mark, then by:

SwingDirection, then by:

FireClass, then by:

SoundClass.

And we need to add by:

SecurityClass

But Revit has by default only 4 levels or sorting.

Any ideas how we can go about adding more sorting parameters?

Thanks,

Lena

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 11
CoreyDaun
in reply to: lena.v

I have accomplished this in the past by creating a Calculated Value that combined two of the fields for the purposes of establishing a sort order for our Light Fixture Schedule. I already had the top two "Sort Slots" used, so I had to combine LampWattage and LampQuantity (to be sorted in respective order) into a single sort. This is a rough summary of my scenario:

Name                  Type                       Units        

LampWattage     Parameter               Watts

LampQuantity     Parameter               Integer

LampSort            Calculated Value    Number

The formula for LampSort is: =(LampWattage / 1 W) + (LampQuantity / 100)

The above formula will combine the two to produce a number such as 32.03 (32W, 3-Lamp) or 54.01 (54W,1-Lamp), which allows for proper sorting.

As for your specific situation, I would assume that your Parameters "SwingDirection", "FireClass", and "SoundClass" are all Text Parameters, correct?

It may still be possible to combine them using this method, but could you elaborate on your parameters a little bit, specifically, are there a large number of possible values for these parameters? I'm thinking there are aren't many possibilities for "SwingDirection", but what about the other two?

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 7 of 11
lena.v
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Great, that sounds like an idea!

You're right though, my parameters are texts.

Is it possible to combine two text strings to one?

Message 8 of 11
CoreyDaun

Unfortunately, Revit is incapable of the simple task of combining text strings, which is responsible for the forehead-shaped damage to my desk. banghead.gif

Spoiler

My questions earlier about the number of possible values is important to this method - the more values, the more complicated it becomes. Example:

I want to combine BoxSize and BoxColor, which are both Text parameters. I would first have to create a Calculated Value for each of these that will convert the value to an Integer. Here is the formula for the respective Calculated Values:

BoxSizeSort = if(BoxSize = "Small", 1,if(BoxSize = "Medium", 2, 3))

BoxColorSort = if(BoxColor = "Blue", 1, if(BoxColor = "Green", 2, if(BoxColor = "Orange", 3, if(BoxColor = "Red", 4, 5)))

**The above formulas must include ALL possibilities, so if there are limitless options, then this is not possible.

Finally, a third Calculated Value is needed to combine the other two: BoxSort = BoxSizeSort + (BoxColorSort / 10)

Edit: Nevermind the above in the spoiler - I had forgotten that Revit does not allow a String to be used in a conditional statement... More banghead.gif

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 9 of 11
lena.v
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Ok, thank you for helping out!

Maybe the conversion to text may be too elaborate for this project.

How ever, the calculated value idea makes me think we will have to combine two parameters into one to simplify matters. Hope Autodesk will give us more control in future versions though.

Thank you for quick replies!

/Lena

Message 10 of 11
CoreyDaun

Unfortunately, with all of the parameters being Text, I believe that you will have to combine them outside the schedule. I'll post if think of any other possibilities...

Message 11 of 11
kwhite

OK.  Buckle your seatbelts because this ride might get a little bumpy...

You could create the sorting method you need using the following steps.  I have built into the families that I am creating a set of condition parameters which change the integer value of a parameter based on the selection made in a totally different yes/no parameter.  You could do something similar in which you assign numeric values to each of the selection categories and then have a final parameter which creates a sum of the control integers which you then use for sorting in the schedule.  It sounds convoluted, but once you get it working, it does so like a charm.  You could set your control values like:

Type Mark = 1000.0 (thousands digit) --> A=1000, B=2000, C=3000, and etc.

SwingDirection = 00100.0 (hundreds digit) --> Outswing = 100, Inswing = 200, and etc.

FireClass = 00010.0 (tens digit) --> Rating 1 = 10, Rating 2 = 20, Rating 3 = 30, and etc.

SoundClass = 0001.0 (ones digit) --> SC1 = 1, SC2=2, Sc3=3, and etc.

SecurityClass = 0000.1 (1st decimal digit)  --> SecC1 = 0.1, SecC2 = 0.2, SecC3 = 0.3

Summation of  categories would be totally unique based on the window configurations

(ex: 1122.3 would be a Type A Outswing window of fire rating 2, with a sound class of 2, and a security class of 3)

Then this summation parameter can be used to sort the schedule.  This/these parameters will need to be shared parameters for scheduling...

I have attached an image of a similar situation in which I am populating a custom type mark with text based on check boxes selected.  I got the idea for this from a blog post.  Follow the link here for the post and look to the "Pick One and Only One' section in the middle of the post.

Maybe this can accomplish what you need (after a bit of elbow grease is applied thoroughly).

Keith

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report