Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soke detectors, light fittings, and tags

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
NigelParsons4560
851 Views, 2 Replies

Soke detectors, light fittings, and tags

I'm working on reflected ceiling plans for the first time.  The office building I'm working on has 20 tenancies per floor, each with its own ceiling grid.  I need to add smoke detectors, alarm speakers, motion detectors, and light fittings. 

A draftsman that used to work for me has drawn the ceilings as filled regions on plan and created generic symbols such as an S in a circle for a smoke detector.  This is obviously not the way things are meant to be done, but having spent 2 hours on this already I can see why she gave up and cheated: things just don't work with Revit.

I am ok with setting up the ceiling grids, which I'll proceed with while waiting for some help on my various problems below:

1. How can I change from the 3D smoke detector to a simple S in a circle?

2. How do I add a separate ceiling speaker as the alarm, being the letter A in a circle?  Presumably, once I know how to do this with propper families that are linked to the ceiling, I'll be able to do other fittings as well.

3. How do I create a tag that allows me to enter the smoke detector number?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

@NigelParsons4560 wrote:

I'm working on reflected ceiling plans for the first time.  The office building I'm working on has 20 tenancies per floor, each with its own ceiling grid.  I need to add smoke detectors, alarm speakers, motion detectors, and light fittings. 

A draftsman that used to work for me has drawn the ceilings as filled regions on plan and created generic symbols such as an S in a circle for a smoke detector.  This is obviously not the way things are meant to be done, but having spent 2 hours on this already I can see why she gave up and cheated: things just don't work with Revit.

I am ok with setting up the ceiling grids, which I'll proceed with while waiting for some help on my various problems below:

1. How can I change from the 3D smoke detector to a simple S in a circle?

New>Family>Metric Electrical Fixture ceiling based

Annotate>Symbolic line - Draw a circle & draw letter A (if you use the text on the annotation tab it won't be visible in the project)

Load into project

2. How do I add a separate ceiling speaker as the alarm, being the letter A in a circle?  Presumably, once I know how to do this with propper families that are linked to the ceiling, I'll be able to do other fittings as well.

Same as above

3. How do I create a tag that allows me to enter the smoke detector number?

New>Family>Annotations>Metric Electrical Device Tag

Create>Label

Place the label in intersection of the ref planes

In the pop-up windows select the Category Parameters you want to tag (Mark in your case) and click on the button with a green arrow Add parameter(s) to label.

Load into project.

All done 🙂

Hope this helps,

Maciej

Message 3 of 3

Thanks maciej,

Everything is working fine.

N.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report