Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sloping Columns

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
pete
3061 Views, 6 Replies

Sloping Columns

While inquiring about sloping concrete columns from Autodesk support I found out that when trying to slope a column in plan the shortest length one can slope horizontally from one point to another is the length of the column plus 6" which is a pretty extreme slope when you think about it.  I've never seen a column slope that much!  The documentation for sloping columns in Revit does not mention this limitation so I spent an untold amount of time trying to figure out what I had done wrong.  I was told by support that the best way to slope a column less than the minimum one can do in plan is to slope it in elevation or section.  This works fine for sloping columns in the direction of the long axis (of a rectangular column in plan) but when trying to slope it in the direction of the short axis the column automatically rotates 90 deg in plan.  It will not slope in the direction of the short axis as far as I can tell!  Again I have spent an inordinate amount of time trying figure out a way to do this.  My approach has been to place the column in plan as a vertical column then go to a section or elevation view and pull the top over to slope after I change the properties to a slanted end point driven column.  What am I doing wrong to try to slope the column in the short axis direction.

Thank you,

Peter

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: pete

Can you provide a sketch of what the end result should be? You know, an image is worth a thousand words, or more... 🙂

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 7
pete

Thank yuo for your reply.  I've attached a sketch which hopefully explains the problem I'm having.

Peter

Message 4 of 7
Alfredo_Medina

Suppose that the column is centered in plan at the intersection of grids X and Y. Then, from an elevation, draw a reference plane 6 inches apart from the vertical grid (Y). Then, do Column > Structural colum > Slanted column > for plane, select Grid X. For column, select, for example, rectangular column of 1' x 2'. If the column does not come in the right orientation, you could change the "Cross-section rotation" parameter, or you could create a duplicate of this column, and make it work with 2' x 1', instead of 1' x 2'. See illustration.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 7
pete

The solution worked great.  Now I need to be taught how to slope a column on a diagonal instead of only the orthogonals.  In other words in plan view I can slope a column along the y-axis or the x-axis but how do I slope along both the x and y-axis t the same time?

Thank you.

Message 6 of 7
Alfredo_Medina

In that case, you need to work in 3D, creating columns by the "Slanted column" option, activating "3d snapping". You could start with a detail level of "coarse" to see the endpoints better, and then, you change the detail level to "medium" again to see the actual structural members.

See illustration.

Message 7 of 7
CB4L

I realize how old this is but I finally found something that relates to something I need to achieve. I need a column to show "plumbness" in two directions. Is that something possible with the solution suggested here?

Had to ask.. Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report