Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slab Edge Does Not Report in Material Take-off

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
gelbrich
13840 Views, 17 Replies

Slab Edge Does Not Report in Material Take-off

I'm trying to build a series of schedules to report material quantities, and I'm finding that a structural slab edge is not appearing in the schedule. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks in advance.

Ian

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
lanl
in reply to: gelbrich

Hi gelbrich,

Currently the Material Takeoff (Multi-Category, or Slab Category) will not show the slab edge information. You can only create a standard schedule (not material takeoff) for slab edge category.

I have added your comment to the function request reported before.

Meanwhile, I would also encourage you to log enchancement request with the link below when you think anything needed to be improved. Our product design team will read all the submitted forms. Thanks.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794  

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Lei Lan
Message 3 of 18
cuen.saul
in reply to: lanl

The funny thing is that this topic is from 2013. Well, is 2016 and the request has not been implemented. Version after version Autodesk offers new functions, but so far, very little are for REALLY increasing quality and productivity. I still try to solve issues I had in version 2009

Message 4 of 18

I salute you, for pointing out that fail. I, for instance, was trying to make a schedule for that, then I came across with this post.

Now 2017 is out and YET, no major advance in matters like this.
Message 5 of 18

Has this been fixed in revit 2018?

Message 6 of 18
ToanDN
in reply to: jone9LFJV

Convert it to Parts then you can take-off the material in a schedule:

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNG

Message 7 of 18
JustinCox1985
in reply to: jone9LFJV

2018 is out and this still hasn't be rectified. 

I just ran into this dilemma myself. Almost miscalculated 58 CY of concrete for my take off! 

Can't imagine all the take offs over the years that people have been using incorrect data. This is a huge let down on Autodesk.

Message 8 of 18
rommel_bernal

Im still having this problem (Unless it was already fixed on latest version). Usually we use 'Paint' to get the 'material area' of selected faces of elements and use material take-off to extract those data. It allows you to apply 'Paint' on 'slab edge' but it does not allow you to extract the data in material take-off.

Message 9 of 18
ToanDN
in reply to: rommel_bernal

Create parts. Already said above.
Message 10 of 18
rommel_bernal
in reply to: ToanDN

Hi @ToanDN , my concern is the 'Material Area' specially in slab haunching that needed to take-off for formworks quantity. Using parts does not help you to calculate the are of this sloping part of slab edge.

Message 11 of 18
dougZ7ENQ
in reply to: rommel_bernal

I found a pretty simple work around to this problem. I just created a slab that had the same volume as the Slab Edge I was trying to get to show in the Material take off table. It took me all of two minutes.

I duplicated a concrete slab and called it "Concrete Slab - 12" - For Slab Edge Material Take Off" then made it the same volume. By making the new slab 12" thick all you need is to match the area. I decided to make mine 50' long and as wide as needed to match the area of the Slab Edge.

IE: My Slab Edge had a volume of 294.55 CF. I made my Slab area the same and with the new slab being 12" thick all I need to do was divide the volume by 50' and I got a width of 5.891 feet. 

Now I have a line item in my Concrete Slab takeoff table for the Slab Edge. A note of warning though. This slab will not update if you change the size of the Slab Edge. So you would be best off to create this slab once your design is final and no further changes will be made to the Slab Edge. 

Message 12 of 18
breakingbad

So, we're now in Revit 2021 and this has still yet to be fixed. Yes, I see there are work arounds but this is a fundamental thing and we shouldn't be having to use workarounds just to get a slab thickening included in our material takeoffs!

Message 13 of 18

Version 2021.1.2: Still doesn't show on floor schedule. I guess they won't fix it...

Message 14 of 18
robertovalentino

I don't think we will have any of those implemented. Ever!
We all already pay our subscriptions every year and since Autodesk dismissed perpetual licenses, we all are condemned to pay if we want to use what works in Revit. Why should they spend time and money on that?

Autodesk is more interested in adding nice-to-have toys and attract new buyers rather than solving problems for those who already pay the license.

Try and make one of your projects in Revit 2008. you will be shocked to see that you can do that all the same.
13 years of nothing versus 13 years of subscriptions. Here is the business

Message 15 of 18
anthony_iskandar

I think it is implemented in Revit 2022, I am seeing double elements in my Material TakeOff. Tidying up the Parts out of my Material TakeOff :))

Message 16 of 18

How did you get it working? I'm using 2022 version and my slab edge is not counting towards slab volume. Verified it with deleting the edge and schedule didn't change. 

Message 17 of 18

Well, I am using Material Takeoff, not Schedule/Quantities

Here is my screenshot, an already tidied up version, there are slab edges counted in (the 7 bottom items).

anthony_iskandar_0-1641255305121.png

and if I Create Parts from the Slab Edges, the element will be doubled (the most bottom item)

anthony_iskandar_1-1641255748710.png

Message 18 of 18

What are settings you have chosen for the new field (Named:A) you have created?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report