Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple Conditional Formula Help?!

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
markacronin
628 Views, 8 Replies

Simple Conditional Formula Help?!

Hi,

Could I please get some help on formulas. I haven’t really done anything complex before and I thought that this one was pretty simple but I still can’t get it to work. I basically want a yes/no parameter that if ticked by a user will result in the door leafs becoming equal widths. This is what I have done so far:

Leaf Width One (instance) length parameter): tied to dimension

Leaf Width Two (instance) length parameter): tied to dimension

Equal Width (instance) (yes/no parameter): (ticked or unticked)

Width Equal (instance) (length parameter): if(Equal Width, Leaf Width One = Leaf Width Two, not(Leaf Width One = Leaf Width Two))

I get the inconsistent units error, I also tried using Leaf Width One / 1 but no difference.

I’m probably going about this the wrong way, so I really could use some help please.

Thanks...

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
markacronin
in reply to: markacronin

Hmm, I didn't have Width Equal parameter connected to anything, so I've tried inserting the formula below into the Leaf Width Secondary parameter:

if(Equal Width, Leaf Width Secondary = Leaf Width, not(Leaf Width Secondary = Leaf Width)) Still getting the inconsistant units error though.

I've attached the family (no formula inserted, I can't save it because of the inconsistent units error!). Sorry for the parameter name changes between posts, didn't mean to cause confusion.

Any help appreciated.

Message 3 of 9

See the attached illustrations, showing the two states, equal, and unequal.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 4 of 9
markacronin

Thank you for the help.

The method pictured didn't work because it relied on an overall width driving the size whereas in my example I needed the panels to drive the overall size. But with some help from the AUGI forum (here)  I got to the bottom of it.

I was trying to enter too much (incorrect) info. For those interested, I ended up using (with some parameter name changes again!):

if(Equal Width, Leaf One Width, Leaf Two Width)

in the parameter Leaf Width Secondary field that was dimensioning the secondary leaf.

It now works exactly as expected.

Thank you.

Message 5 of 9

Your original post contained this description:

" I basically want a yes/no parameter that if ticked by a user will result in the door leafs becoming equal widths"

Based on that description, how can anyone infer that you "needed the panels to drive the overall size"? You should have said that in the original post.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 9

Sorry Alfredo,

I didn't mean to confuse things. That is why I uploaded the family soon after my first post, I guess I knew I hadn't provided enough detail and thought that any required info could be obtained from the file.

It was not my intention to waste your time. Thank you for your assistance.

Message 7 of 9

No problem. I am glad that you found a solution.:)

It happens often at work, too, when a client requests a familiy, but the specs are not clearly defined. That is why It is important to specify the expected behaviour of the family.

Message 8 of 9

Yes, you'd think I'd know better seeing as I am on the recieving end of that too. Lack of information is one of the biggest causes of delay and disruption in our industry!

Lesson learned. No matter how much of a rush I'm in, especially if I'm asking for help, take the time to give a detailed description!

Message 9 of 9
ljhudson

I have a formula similiar to this that I would like some help on.

in my door schedule. I have a field for Single or Pair

using the formula if(or(Width < 4', Width > 7' - 0' 6"), "SGL", "PR")

But in some cases I have overhead doors that don't use either, what would be the best way I can override that.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report