Active Contributor
m.cronin
Message 1 of 8 (368 Views)
Accepted Solution

Simple Conditional Formula Help?!

368 Views, 7 Replies
02-27-2012 10:32 PM

Hi,

Could I please get some help on formulas. I haven’t really done anything complex before and I thought that this one was pretty simple but I still can’t get it to work. I basically want a yes/no parameter that if ticked by a user will result in the door leafs becoming equal widths. This is what I have done so far:

Leaf Width One (instance) length parameter): tied to dimension

Leaf Width Two (instance) length parameter): tied to dimension

Equal Width (instance) (yes/no parameter): (ticked or unticked)

Width Equal (instance) (length parameter): if(Equal Width, Leaf Width One = Leaf Width Two, not(Leaf Width One = Leaf Width Two))

I get the inconsistent units error, I also tried using Leaf Width One / 1 but no difference.

I’m probably going about this the wrong way, so I really could use some help please.

Thanks...

Active Contributor
m.cronin
Message 2 of 8 (360 Views)

Re: Simple Conditional Formula Help?!

02-27-2012 11:49 PM in reply to: m.cronin

Hmm, I didn't have Width Equal parameter connected to anything, so I've tried inserting the formula below into the Leaf Width Secondary parameter:

if(Equal Width, Leaf Width Secondary = Leaf Width, not(Leaf Width Secondary = Leaf Width)) Still getting the inconsistant units error though.

I've attached the family (no formula inserted, I can't save it because of the inconsistent units error!). Sorry for the parameter name changes between posts, didn't mean to cause confusion.

Any help appreciated.

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 3 of 8 (344 Views)

02-28-2012 07:02 AM in reply to: m.cronin

See the attached illustrations, showing the two states, equal, and unequal.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Active Contributor
m.cronin
Message 4 of 8 (318 Views)

02-28-2012 07:43 PM in reply to: m.cronin

Thank you for the help.

The method pictured didn't work because it relied on an overall width driving the size whereas in my example I needed the panels to drive the overall size. But with some help from the AUGI forum (here)  I got to the bottom of it.

I was trying to enter too much (incorrect) info. For those interested, I ended up using (with some parameter name changes again!):

if(Equal Width, Leaf One Width, Leaf Two Width)

in the parameter Leaf Width Secondary field that was dimensioning the secondary leaf.

It now works exactly as expected.

Thank you.

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 5 of 8 (303 Views)

02-29-2012 05:23 AM in reply to: m.cronin

Your original post contained this description:

" I basically want a yes/no parameter that if ticked by a user will result in the door leafs becoming equal widths"

Based on that description, how can anyone infer that you "needed the panels to drive the overall size"? You should have said that in the original post.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Active Contributor
m.cronin
Message 6 of 8 (290 Views)

02-29-2012 01:48 PM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Sorry Alfredo,

I didn't mean to confuse things. That is why I uploaded the family soon after my first post, I guess I knew I hadn't provided enough detail and thought that any required info could be obtained from the file.

It was not my intention to waste your time. Thank you for your assistance.

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 7 of 8 (286 Views)

02-29-2012 02:25 PM in reply to: m.cronin

No problem. I am glad that you found a solution.:smileyhappy:

It happens often at work, too, when a client requests a familiy, but the specs are not clearly defined. That is why It is important to specify the expected behaviour of the family.

Active Contributor
m.cronin
Message 8 of 8 (284 Views)

02-29-2012 02:31 PM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Yes, you'd think I'd know better seeing as I am on the recieving end of that too. Lack of information is one of the biggest causes of delay and disruption in our industry!

Lesson learned. No matter how much of a rush I'm in, especially if I'm asking for help, take the time to give a detailed description!

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube