Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sidewalks in Parking areas

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
FinearcLtd
1217 Views, 11 Replies

Sidewalks in Parking areas

Anybody knows how I can make a sidewalk on a sloped basement floor that is a parking area?

The floor has diverse slopes and it is quite difficult to follow. I need also to create curbs for that sidewalk.

HELP!!!!

I must say I am very dissapointed with Autodesk, Revit 2015 has much too little improvements considering the amount of unresolved issues...

Too bad for us users!

Tags (2)
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
cbcarch
in reply to: FinearcLtd

Use a Floor, and specify slope with a Slope Arrow, or by Edit Points. Curb can be created with a Slab Edge / Profile.

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects-St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 12
FinearcLtd
in reply to: cbcarch

Thank you for your reply. This much I know by myself but that is a lame solution which is highly time consuming to execute and not a precise method. I am posting all of these things with the hope that Autodesk will start taking note of the needs we have as professional user of Revit. This issue should really be solved at the application level. Being able to paste a sidewalk onto an existing floor/road is an everyday necessity in our profession!

Thank you!

Message 4 of 12
AJA14

Hi,

If I were you, I would create an in-place sweep using a floor category. That way, you pick the edges of the floor and whatever changes will follow.

Regards,

Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Message 5 of 12
bimandict

Hi,

I agree. . . civils related modelling is not convenient in Revit.

But I think. . . and not in defence to Autodesk. Revit is not a civils tool nor is it a "3D modelling" tool. Its a BIM tool and the graphical aspects are part of the Information. and we can do "3D modelling" in Revit but we can expect it to behave like 3DSMax or Civils 3D or Microstation 3D etc.

I get frustrated too about not being able to do sertain things but we as technical people, need to think laterally and solve the issues in other ways.

Dont give up hope 🙂  Just look out side Revit sometimes as everything we model is not BIM.

My workaround to this (sometimes) is Slabs or massess on different levels e.g. 0 floor level and a -150 road level. or if the model is small in area import a DGW road model in to a mass.

Good luck.

Message 6 of 12
DaveDrahn

I'm a noob, but any chance you could copy the floor in place, select the copy and offset it up 6" or whatever your curb height, then edit boundary on it to get it to run where you need it with the 4' or 5' width.  Then you'd have a sidewalk surface paralleling the parking lot and you could sweep a curb profile to make it look nice.

Message 7 of 12
FinearcLtd
in reply to: DaveDrahn

Thank you for your assistance. Copying floor in place does not work, since any time you update the floor boundary the heights change automatically to zero. I don't know of any other way to cut a floor boundary. Do you?

Message 8 of 12
FinearcLtd
in reply to: bimandict

I think that a BIM software should be a complete solution as offered by other leading BIM software. Autodesk should provide a complete solution rather than rely on plugins, which are a pain for us professionals. What we really desire is an all in one solution!!! Personally I have no desire to defend Autodesk. If I need to use five different software programs to design a single project I feel like I am using 2D software again...

Message 9 of 12
DaveDrahn

Maybe I don't understand the problem completely, but I just took an driveway (225mm thick concrete floor) from a plan here.  I added some complexity to it by modifying subelements and adding some points and a couple split lines. Then I copied it to the right 5m, changed it to a 150mm floor and set it's base offset to +150 (so it is now sitting just above the 225mm floor).  Then I significantly changed its boundary, from a driveway shape to a 1.5m wide curving walkway.  Then I acceepted the changes and moved it back into position so it sits over the top of the driveway.

Modifying the boundary didn't affect the top/bottom surface irregularities (or the varying concrete thickness), so it technically matched the top surface irregularities of the driveway, just as a 150mm thick curvy walkway sitting on top of the driveway.

Maybe you could post your file?

Message 10 of 12
FinearcLtd
in reply to: DaveDrahn

Thant is odd! Is there something about floors that I don't know? As far as I know floors reset when I edit there boundary. Is there a setting for this somewhere?
Message 11 of 12
FinearcLtd

I just tried it again and got the same result. I don't know of a way to edit floor boundary without affecting the levels! Maybe what you did is just dragging edges to new positions? Unless there is some setting I am not familiar with!

thank you!

Message 12 of 12
DaveDrahn

You probably know more than I do... but that said, I'm using Revit Arch 2014 (BDS).  Maybe something's changed?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report