Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Showing a Future Phase

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
lukewc
396 Views, 5 Replies

Showing a Future Phase

We are working on a Project that has multiple wings to the building. The wings will be built in phases as the owner has the money to do so. What we need to be able to do is to show the portions of the building in the current phase at regular line weights / level of detail, and in the same plan show a wing that will be built in the future in a half tone. The project / model has all of the wings in it so that we can plan many aspects of the project for full build out. I can't seem to get the Phase Filters or Graphic Overrides to allow me to show something that happens in the future compared to the current phase. Has anyone found a way around this? Has anyone heard of Autodesk is addressing this? It sure seems like this could apply to many projects.

Any thoughts would be very welcome.

LWC
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Steve_Stafford
in reply to: lukewc

Phasing by itself won't allow you to show them in context. If you use two views, one set to new and existing and one set to Future, you can overlay them on a sheet to show them together. Overide the display of objects in the future plan so they show as dashed for example.
Message 3 of 6
lukewc

That's a very creative solution. I think that will work for now. However, I still believe Autodesk should address this better in the Phases since it seems te point of phases is to control how parts of a project are shown over time.

Thanks again.
Message 4 of 6
Steve_Stafford

Overlaying views is a frequently ignored feature. For some reason folks reject it as a matter of course as a workaround or not elegant. It works great for a bunch of things, do yourself a favor and don't dismiss it.
Message 5 of 6
lukewc

The overlay on a sheet is definitely something I hadn't used before. Do you have any set procedure for making sure the views are overlaid exactly when you do it? When I tried your suggestion I just moved one view over the other on a sheet and used the point of my mouse to find a matching location as accuratly as I could since it won't snap to geometry in a view when that view isn't active.

Also, in my messing around with this I played with another way of kinda tricking the phases to get what I want. I thought that if I have multiple phases in my project (say 3) I could just think of that phase as a future phase and in a view that is in that 3rd phase, I override the "new" geometry in the phase filters so that everything "new" looks gray (for example). I then just let the rest of the previous phases in that view be defined to be seen "By Category" and it kinda give the effect that I'm looking for. I'll attach a little file that I've been messing with to further explain. Check out the view "Level 1 - Phase 3" as well as the Phase filters and graphic overrides.

It wouldn't let me attach the rvt files, so we'll try a doc with screen captures in it.

Thanks again, LWC
Message 6 of 6
Steve_Stafford

When you overlay a view on a sheet Revit will show you green dashed witness lines that indicate when they are aligned. The only caveat is the views must be the same scale otherwise Revit won't figure out how to align them.

If adjusting the phases as you describe gives you what you want to see then great!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report