Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should i create new revit families in a older version?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
diona.roland
759 Views, 7 Replies

Should i create new revit families in a older version?

Hello,

I have to create Revit families. I am currently creating them in Revit 2014. I have had some requests for families in 2012 and 2013 versions. I know that Revit is not backwards compatible. Also, good BIM firms will stay up to date with the new version of the software.

So my question is "What is the best practice when creating Revit families according to version year?"

I am hoping to get some feedback on this topic.

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

If you're working for a firm and the families you make are for the use of that firm, use the version that they are using. If you're making families that are going to be uploaded to a website for users whose versions you don't know about, use a version that is one or two years old.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 8

Thank you.Alfredo. I am creating the families for both purposes. We are going to be using them in-house and posting them to websites. I will be going to use 2013 instead of 2014.

Message 4 of 8
creed
in reply to: diona.roland

I always make my families in a version 2 years older than the version we are curently using.  That leaves enough time to finish projects in earlier versions and still have compatable content.  For example, we are curently using Revit 2013 on current projects, starting new projects in 2014 and have some projects finishing up in Revit 2012.  So.....I make my content in 2012 to be safe.

Craig Reed
CAD/BIM Administrator
Hanson Professional Services Inc.
Springfield, IL
Message 5 of 8
Jason_S

I create mine 2 versions back unless I need to take advantage of a feature only available in the newer release.  Case in point Room Calculation Point.

Message 6 of 8
diona.roland
in reply to: Jason_S

You bring up a good point with the room calculation point. I am creating light fixtures for lighting calculation in Revit/ELums Tools. I am using .IES files to produce acurtate rendering and footcandle readings. Is this possible with 2012 and 2013 family editior?

Message 7 of 8
Jason_S

Room Calulation Point is available in 2013 for lighting and other limited family types, but not in 2012 and earlier.  When I create families I am always looking at the use and how far back can I go and still have that ability. 

Message 8 of 8
MKEllis

Thanks for posting this query - it was something that I hadn't really contemplated before, but it is a very good point.

Martin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report