Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Separate Family Window - Revit 2013

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
tkendrick
1935 Views, 6 Replies

Separate Family Window - Revit 2013

Anybody else using Revit 2013 ever seen this window. It is separate from the Main Revit window. It seems to have no function. You can't drag it. You can right click the title bar to access the Move command. The drop down only contain Sheet. It doesn't appear to have any function. The item changes with the View that is open. You can also Hide it by right clicking the Title bar. And you can simply click the Red "X" to close it. But it occasionally re-opens on it's own.

Revit 2013 Mini Window.jpg

----
Use this link to tell Autodesk about features you need:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

I am interested in this functionality too -- moving a Revit view or sub-window outside the main Revit application window, so they are side by side for example. We know Revit can stretch or span two monitors, but that functionality is different from this request.

P.S. As a consolation or example, Revit will allow both the Properties and Project Browser sub-windows to move outside the main Revit window. 

Message 3 of 7
tkendrick
in reply to: tkendrick

I think I figured out what that loose window is. When I had a project open and I had something selected like a view or object it would look like the image in the original post. I double clicked on the title bar and it docked into the object options bar. It's a Type Selection drop down.

Revit 2013 Mini Window Corrected.jpg

----
Use this link to tell Autodesk about features you need:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794
Message 4 of 7
Chris.Aquino
in reply to: tkendrick

In the past we have seen odd behavior when workstations have multiple monitors in place, or a large monitor set to a high resolution. These issues are magnified if Revit is being utilized in the secondary monitor, as Revit attempts to use the primary monitor by default. We have also seen these issues if the Project Browser or Properties Palette undocked from the main Revit window.

If you have not already, I would verify that the monitor DPI is set to 100%, Revit is on the main monitor, and the Properties Palette and Project Browser are docked.

Chris Aquino
Adoption Marketing Manager | BIM Collaborate Pro
@Aquinotecture

Message 5 of 7

Setup 1 = Current 2 monitor system with Revit on monitor 2 or spanned across both monitors with properties and browser undocked + screen resolution 100%. 

Test 1 rendering = 6.47 minutes

Setup 2 = Tried your recommended setup: moved Revit to the primary 1 monitor and docked the properties and browser windows inside Revit + screen resolution 100%.

Test 2 rendering = 8.47 minutes

Any other suggestions?

Message 6 of 7
DavidRaines
in reply to: Chris.Aquino

I have a laptop and a large monitor.  I use the laptop as the main monitor. This allows me to pick and move any software to the adjoining monitor. No problems

Message 7 of 7
candystink
in reply to: Chris.Aquino

Are you suggesting that Revit 2013 shouldn't be used with 2 monitors?  

i'm having problems with the use of 2 monitors; when i switch between projects (or families i'm editing), the project browser and OP windows return to the main (home) window and i have to move them again to the other monitor, my preferred location for these windows as it allows for a maximized view window on the home screen.  i've been searching for a solution to this problem but haven't been able to find one on the numerous forums i've seached.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report