Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Schedule Text width factor, Can it be changed?

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
Jason_S
3582 Views, 22 Replies

Schedule Text width factor, Can it be changed?

Why doesn't the schedules in Revit 2010 read the same Fonts styles created inside the project?  Currently the font width factor between the schedule and some of the general notes on the sheet are different and I can't seem to find a way to change it fro the schedule.

Is there a work around for the schedule font width?

Thanks

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
lawrencerobinson5
in reply to: Jason_S

There isn't a width control for the schedule font.  I have this same complaint about model text.

Lawrence

Message 3 of 23

There is no text width factor, but you can use another font, such as Arial Narrow.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 4 of 23
GPR_MN
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

how utterly ridiculous.

As a person whos job is transitioning firms from AutoCAD to Revit, little things like this that end up being deal breakers for firms.  Cant count how many eyebrows I've raised by stating simple things that Revit cant do that make it seem like Im pulling their leg.

Message 5 of 23
Jason_S
in reply to: GPR_MN

@GPR_MN wrote:

how utterly ridiculous.

As a person whos job is transitioning firms from AutoCAD to Revit, little things like this that end up being deal breakers for firms.  Cant count how many eyebrows I've raised by stating simple things that Revit cant do that make it seem like Im pulling their leg.

Well, This post is from 2010 for the 2010 version of Revit.  I don't use that version anymore, but 2014 and 2015 allow the schedules to use the same fonts types in the model. So changing the width factor isn't an issue.

You can scratch that off the list of items Revit supposedly can't do.

Message 6 of 23
GPR_MN

Also using Revit 2014.

While the dialog says it is assigning a project text style as a body text, the results do not match.

Upper is a text note.

Lower is 'same' text type assigned to body text in schedule.

Schedule is still not modifying width values.

Removed width value of text note style to confirm.

Message 7 of 23
Jason_S

Hmmm.....

I am not having any of those issues.  I have not had any issues with schedule fonts since the release of 2014.  Life has been good here.

Attached are the setting I have.  My only thought is there are similarly named fonts in your project and the wrong one is picked.

Message 8 of 23
GPR_MN

Thanks for your investigative work and response.

Does your 1/8" Arial font type have a width factor associated with it?

The font type I selected is the same, in our case SK_1, for both the text note and schedule body text drop down.

The firm I am working with had assigned a .7200 width value to their font (DinPro ).

This did not carry through into our schedule, which is what brought me to the boards today.

Message 9 of 23
Jason_S

Yes the font has a width factor associated with it.  It is .8.  Not sure on the DinPro font type. And I can say, I have never heard of that font. 

Arial is NCS compliant and we follow that as much as possible for our standards.  Hope you get things worked out and if you need more info let me know.

Message 10 of 23
GPR_MN

I just switched our SK_1 font to Arial, hit apply and then the schedule updated the font. 

But upon changing the width factor from 1.0 to 2.0 and then down to .5, there was no effect on the font width displayed in the schedule.

Wonder if this is a bug, currently  running.

20131024_2115(x64)
Update Release 2

Message 11 of 23
Jason_S

@GPR_MN wrote:

I just switched our SK_1 font to Arial, hit apply and then the schedule updated the font. 

But upon changing the width factor from 1.0 to 2.0 and then down to .5, there was no effect on the font width displayed in the schedule.

Wonder if this is a bug, currently  running.

20131024_2115(x64)
Update Release 2

WOW!!!!  I never did that before just now.  You are correct in that changing the font width in the referenced font type doesn't change the schedule right away. 

I guess it is a one shot deal when creating a schedule.  I don't like that. 2015 does the same thing.

Message 12 of 23
spike14me

Same here in 2014. You are not the only one with this issue.

Message 13 of 23
damo3

If firms are basing transitioning to Revit on weather it can provide font width factor then i would suggest you may have some deeper issues to deal with.
Seriously, the days of CAD and standards have really messed with some offices priorities. A million fonts to choose from and offices pick one they have to modify. Hmmm...

________________________________________________________________________________
If you find posts have solved your problem, please don't forget to mark them as 'SOLVED' to help others with similar questions. - Thank you.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Message 14 of 23
GPR_MN
in reply to: damo3

They do have bigger issues here, such as where to place all the design awards that they get. Not kidding.

So, Im not really in the position to be giving them the 'you're doing it wrong' speech.

And as far as a solitary issue discouraging adaptation of Revit, the reason we are having a text note and a schedule coinciding, is that Revit cant left justify a schedule title.  

Maybe they should have sought some consultation regarding their CAD/Graphic standards in regards to its compatiability with Revit, but a lot of the hiccups are associtated with graphic customization that to the uninitiated seem perfectly feasible. Partly because they were conceived in an Autodesk product, one that happens to be part of the Revit Design Suite.

The graphic apperance of drawings is a high priority at all of the smaller design firms I have worked with, and they all want it to be customized and reflective of their design philosophy.   

Message 15 of 23
damo3

I agree with you, graphic appearance is a priority not just for small firms but larger ones too. My concern is how much weight is given to that priority vs productivity. There are many nice looking very legible fonts. I came from an office that used width factor in Autocad, i just remember it to be an annoying item one i was very glad to lose when we went to revit.

But you will be pleased to know you can left justify titles in Revit. In 2014 Hit Clear cell from thr formatting bar after clicking in the title and type in the heading. You will notice this also gives us the much desired option of naming the title different to the schedule name in the project browser.

Hope it helps.

________________________________________________________________________________
If you find posts have solved your problem, please don't forget to mark them as 'SOLVED' to help others with similar questions. - Thank you.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Message 16 of 23
cglass

Same issue here...

I have the schedule set to the same text style as our general notes (1/8" Arial, with .8 width factor), and the schedule font still looks to wider than the notes font next to it.

Message 17 of 23
SteveKStafford

Yes, I can confirm that the width factor assigned to text style that works in text does not work in a schedule that uses the same text style. I believe Autodesk is away of it.

My other older self here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/46056
Message 18 of 23

I'd like to add my voice to this as well. I was so close to using Revit Key Note Legends until I discovered that the text formatting in Revit schedules is not compatible with our company text styles that covers 3 different ADSK software titles (3/32"Arial .8 width). I guess we get lucky and no one complains about our schedules, but Key Notes would get seriously red-flagged by our checkers. 

Autodesk, please fix this (and the text editor too 😉 ).

Thomas N Fuller II
Message 19 of 23
jason.quarry
in reply to: TFuller1980

Can anyone verify if it has been fixed in 2016 yet or not?
Message 20 of 23
ozlucas77

I've been dealing with the same problem for a while. Im using Revit 2014 and 2015. People in the office who's not used to Revit can not understand how Revit can do so many things but it's so lame with Text and Fonts.

Regarding Text Editor and fonts, Revit is still AutoCad's retarded sibling. 

Very dissapointing. 

Spoiler

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report