Revit Architecture

Distinguished Contributor
cvandevere
Message 11 of 19 (979 Views)

Re: Saving down REvit files from 2011

07-22-2010 08:50 AM in reply to: RONADAY8524

Sorry I did not mention it earlier because you had stated that you had already started your work in the current version. If you use an older release you will have to recreate your model.  

CDV
Contributor
RONADAY8524
Message 12 of 19 (974 Views)

07-22-2010 09:31 AM in reply to: cvandevere

no prob, and sorry I had kinda attitude going on - I was extremely frustrated!

phankamer
Message 13 of 19 (671 Views)

03-25-2011 09:31 AM in reply to: cvandevere

Sorry to Necro the post, but this is actually a significant problem.  Simply saying "Talk to your consultant before starting work" is NOT a solution.  It simply doesn't always come up ... and to have to switch between different versions of the program between projects can become a hassle.

Not to mention having to load multiple versions of the SAME program onto a computer is just a waste of hard drive space!  If other Autodesk programs can down save, why can't Revit?

Distinguished Contributor
cvandevere
Message 14 of 19 (664 Views)

03-25-2011 10:36 AM in reply to: phankamer

Look I am an Architect not an employee of Autodesk. I have been using Revit for over six years. When I start a project that will include other team members working in Revit I we figure out which version will be the best for all to work in. My preference is always to use the most current because of the new feature sets and productivity gains. Hard drive space is cheap I don't mind having a couple of versions of Revit.

When new features are added some of them become part of the model itself. If you try to take them out so they are compatible with an earlier release that does not have that feature then the model ends up be dumb downed to a point where it is losing too much information, basically making it useless as bim file. So everyone needs to agree on which version to use period.

Actually the same thing happens with AutoCad every three years when they upgrade the dwg file format. The only difference is that when the file is dumb downed to be compatible with the previous cycles of autocad your are left with just lines. That works fine with autocad because that is it's basic building block. Revit's basic building block is data (information). Once you start losing that your left with garbage.

CDV
BluhmPE
Message 15 of 19 (577 Views)

05-02-2011 04:19 PM in reply to: cvandevere

If this is a problem that comes up several times a year, why doesn't Autodesk do something about it?  The obvious reason is money, of course, but Revit isn't the only BIM software out there, and this is a significant issue.  I'm not sure how easy it will be to change our office's 8 subscriptions, but this is enough to make me seriously consider it on principle.  I find this practice underhanded at best.  Congratulations on ruining your reputation with me.  I'll make sure I pass it around when our clients ask if they should be upgrading to Revit.

Regards,

Steve Bluhm

Valued Mentor
vector2
Message 16 of 19 (545 Views)

05-02-2011 09:19 PM in reply to: BluhmPE
BlumhnPE- you can save down via IFC..
BluhmPE
Message 17 of 19 (513 Views)

05-04-2011 01:01 PM in reply to: vector2

I exported an IFC file and tried to open it in 2011.  Either I did it wrong or Autodesk closed that loophole.

But thank you for the reply

Valued Mentor
vector2
Message 18 of 19 (507 Views)

05-04-2011 01:27 PM in reply to: BluhmPE
i'm in the same position as you since 2011 is my last revit purchase.. i haven't yet tested the IFC in 2012 yet but i will let you know here when i do..
owen.bridges
Message 19 of 19 (450 Views)

05-23-2011 02:49 AM in reply to: RONADAY8524

Despite common beleif, it is possible to covert files to an earlier version. You just have to save the file as an IFC and then it can be opened in previos versions. You may have to tweek the placement of objects when you open it in an earlyer version, but it is better than nothing.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube