Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving down REvit files from 2011

18 REPLIES 18
Message 1 of 19
RONADAY8524
6892 Views, 18 Replies

Saving down REvit files from 2011

who'd have thought we'd have problems like this, we now are actually TOO upgraded. After upgrading to Revit 2011, now we're faced with clients who are still on 2010 and cannot see our newer files. I'm startin to feel like we cant win here...

Is there any way to save down a Revit 2011 file to a 2010 version?

18 REPLIES 18
Message 2 of 19
loboarch
in reply to: RONADAY8524

No it is not possible to save back to a previous version.  Once a file has been promoted it can't go back.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 3 of 19
Toks

Have the same problem, so we have AutoCAD Revit Architecture Suite 2011 subscriptions lying idle just taking up valuable hard disk space, because most of our clients are still on 2010. 

I actually think Autodesk would sell more Revit subscriptions if you could save as a lower version.

People upgrade for the added functionality of the newer versions but will resist upgrading if it makes backward compatibility a problem.

The number of seats we had for 2009 was six times what we had for 2010, and I had a hard time convincing him to renew subscriptions for 2011.

Already my boss is wondering if it will be worth upgrading to 2012 when ever it comes out. As he can't see what benefit we have derived from having 2011. To him it is beginning to make more economic sense to stay with plain vanilla AutoCAD, since the only way to share drawings with most clients has been to convert them to .DWG with defeats the purpose of investing in BIM software in the first place. The alternative would be switching to ArchiCad which we last used in 2003.

Message 4 of 19
cvandevere

Sorry to hear, this question comes up several times a year every year. Revit has never had the capability of saving backwards. If you are the architect your consultants will have to upgrade or you will either have to export to to dwg or ifc files. If you are a consultant the architect should have mentioned what version they were using or you will have to start asking.

CDV
Message 5 of 19
loboarch
in reply to: cvandevere

cvandevere wrote:

If you are a consultant the architect should have mentioned what version they were using or you will have to start asking.

I think this probably deserves saying again.  No matter what your role on the project team is the Revit version everyone is going to be working on NEEDS to be talked about and probabvly written down in your contracts.  This just one of the things you need to consider doing a little differently when delivering a BIM project.

Jeff Hanson
Revit Help |
Message 6 of 19
RONADAY8524

yeah, that make a whole lot of sense.

/sarcasm

Here ive fought tooth and nail to get our boss to get us Revit full version, we finally shell out big bucks to get this program probably at the expense of any bonuses we might get in the next year or so, and come to find out that it doesnt have the basic rudimentary functionality of every other autodesk program that we use. Simply saving to a lesser version, a controversial feature indeed.

So now when we bid a project, we have to inform the client that we can only work with and provide a certain version of Revit file, that really helps to expand our business and work with our clients. We need to order all our clients to upgrade or we cannot provide the files that they need. Brilliant, autode$k. Thanks a lot 

Message 7 of 19
cvandevere

If you are on subscription you are allowed to use the current version and several past ones. Typically, I always upgrade because the  product enhancements and new features are worth the productivity improvements. Unless a client is insistent on an older version (which I have not had yet), I will always use the most current. As an architect I want the improvement of the upgrades/updates it allows me to work more efficiently and provide a better product for my client. Revit is not a stagnant program it evolves with each release. Unfortunately, a number principals running firms don't understand that because they don't use the program, so they just think it is an upgraded pencil.

Like I previously stated Revit has never been backwards compatible. I guess Autodesk needs to ask all of their resellers to make that perfectly clear to the newbies that are buying the program understand that and/or post a big disclaimer that flashes every time you open the program (now I am being sarcastic) "REVIT IS NOT BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE, MAKE SURE YOUR PROJECT TEAM IS USING THE SAME VERSION".

Again sorry that you were unaware but that in no way should keep someone from buying this revolutionary product. Now that you know you can plan your projects accordingly. 

Craig D. VanDevere, AIA

CDV
Message 8 of 19
RONADAY8524

So are you saying that I can go download, install, and run previous versions, say 2010 & 2009 Revit, on my currently registered computers with my current licenses?

If that's the case, then you should have mentioned that earlier instead of taking the "upgrade or else" stance that pretty much stalls dead everyone who doesnt have, or is working with others who dont have the latest and greatest of the program.

thanks

Message 9 of 19
loboarch

RONADAY8524 wrote:

So are you saying that I can go download, install, and run previous versions, say 2010 & 2009 Revit, on my currently registered computers with my current licenses?

If that's the case, then you should have mentioned that earlier instead of taking the "upgrade or else" stance that pretty much stalls dead everyone who doesnt have, or is working with others who dont have the latest and greatest of the program.

thanks

This is true if you are on subscription.  Here is the wording from the subscription brochure.

Use of Previous Versions
As a Subscription Customer you are entitled to install and continue to use Previous Versions of Autodesk
software on a single computer (for a standalone license) or on a network (for network or similar multiuser
licenses) during the term of a subscription contract and any renewal term(s), under the following
conditions:
􀂃 Previous Version use is only available to customers for products which are on a current
Subscription contract.
􀂃 The combined number of Previous Version seats that may be run concurrently of any qualifying
product may not exceed the total number licenses of that product the customer has under
current Subscription contact.
􀂃 Customer may install and use up to three Previous Versions back from the most current version
subject to a Previous Version Eligible Product list which is posted in the Subscription Center
and OTW. Products not appearing on the Eligible Product list do not qualify for Previous
Version use, unless customer owned a valid license of the Previous Version they wish to use
subject conditions of point 4 immediately below.
􀂃 If the customer had a valid, legal license to Previous Version older than three versions back
from the most current release, use of these versions is permitted up to the number of seats
originally owned, but the number of seats used may not exceed the number currently on
Subscription.
􀂃 If the customer has a standalone version, the Previous Version must be installed on the same
computer as the current version and may not be transferred to another computer unless all
licenses of both the Previous Version and the current version are transferred to the new
computer.
􀂃 The current version of the software program that customer has was not labeled or referred to as
a “Crossgrade” when the customer purchased it.

Jeff Hanson
Revit Help |
Message 10 of 19
RONADAY8524
in reply to: loboarch

Lifesaver there, thank you!

Message 11 of 19
cvandevere

Sorry I did not mention it earlier because you had stated that you had already started your work in the current version. If you use an older release you will have to recreate your model.  

CDV
Message 12 of 19
RONADAY8524

no prob, and sorry I had kinda attitude going on - I was extremely frustrated!

Message 13 of 19
phankamer

Sorry to Necro the post, but this is actually a significant problem.  Simply saying "Talk to your consultant before starting work" is NOT a solution.  It simply doesn't always come up ... and to have to switch between different versions of the program between projects can become a hassle.

Not to mention having to load multiple versions of the SAME program onto a computer is just a waste of hard drive space!  If other Autodesk programs can down save, why can't Revit?

Message 14 of 19
cvandevere
in reply to: phankamer

Look I am an Architect not an employee of Autodesk. I have been using Revit for over six years. When I start a project that will include other team members working in Revit I we figure out which version will be the best for all to work in. My preference is always to use the most current because of the new feature sets and productivity gains. Hard drive space is cheap I don't mind having a couple of versions of Revit.

When new features are added some of them become part of the model itself. If you try to take them out so they are compatible with an earlier release that does not have that feature then the model ends up be dumb downed to a point where it is losing too much information, basically making it useless as bim file. So everyone needs to agree on which version to use period.

Actually the same thing happens with AutoCad every three years when they upgrade the dwg file format. The only difference is that when the file is dumb downed to be compatible with the previous cycles of autocad your are left with just lines. That works fine with autocad because that is it's basic building block. Revit's basic building block is data (information). Once you start losing that your left with garbage.

CDV
Message 15 of 19
BluhmSE

If this is a problem that comes up several times a year, why doesn't Autodesk do something about it?  The obvious reason is money, of course, but Revit isn't the only BIM software out there, and this is a significant issue.  I'm not sure how easy it will be to change our office's 8 subscriptions, but this is enough to make me seriously consider it on principle.  I find this practice underhanded at best.  Congratulations on ruining your reputation with me.  I'll make sure I pass it around when our clients ask if they should be upgrading to Revit.

Regards,

Steve Bluhm

Message 16 of 19
vector2
in reply to: BluhmSE

BlumhnPE- you can save down via IFC..
Message 17 of 19
BluhmSE
in reply to: vector2

I exported an IFC file and tried to open it in 2011.  Either I did it wrong or Autodesk closed that loophole.

But thank you for the reply

Message 18 of 19
vector2
in reply to: BluhmSE

i'm in the same position as you since 2011 is my last revit purchase.. i haven't yet tested the IFC in 2012 yet but i will let you know here when i do..
Message 19 of 19
owen.bridges

Despite common beleif, it is possible to covert files to an earlier version. You just have to save the file as an IFC and then it can be opened in previos versions. You may have to tweek the placement of objects when you open it in an earlyer version, but it is better than nothing.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report