Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving as a "project"

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
bng918
15830 Views, 8 Replies

Saving as a "project"

For some reason, when I go to save my Revit house after I have opened it in revit architecture it will not let me "save as project". It will only let me "save as template".

Why is this? And is there a way that I can save it as a project? (Also, what is the differnece between saving as a project or tempalte?)

FYI: I have had this project open in Revit Structure where it would have been saved, I dont know If this would make a difference though.

Thank you for any advice

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
LisaDrago
in reply to: bng918

Once a file has been opened and saved as a template - it will forever be recognized as a template file (.rte) by Revit.

The best thing to do to get a project file out of it is to open a new project using that file as the template.

So go to the application menu - new - project. When the dialog box opens navigate to that file and make sure under create new - project is selected.

This will create a new project file (.rvt) will all the information in the template file (.rte)

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 3 of 9
jgarciacorpus
in reply to: LisaDrago

Thank You this acually worked. When I thought "forever" to be saved as a template. I thought it would never go back to project. But it did.

Spoiler
Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 9
mfattahi2
in reply to: LisaDrago

It worked perfectly, Thank you

Message 5 of 9
pgalliford
in reply to: mfattahi2

Hi, I'm having a similar problem. When I open the template as a project, the save as project is greyed out. This is the same for any of the templates I have on my computer. I can't change the extension in explorer to .rvt and have no problems saving project files, I just cannot save templates as projects.

Message 6 of 9
bayanodibat1
in reply to: pgalliford

I have the same problem ,if you solve it tell me how please.

Message 7 of 9
RDAOU
in reply to: bayanodibat1

@bayanodibat1 

There is a post which was marked as solution back in 2012 which means that solved the problem described in/by the OP.

If you are facing the same issue, follow the instructions given in the solution. If it doesn't work then you must be having a different issue and should put it in a new post.

YOUTUBE | BIM | COMPUTATIONAL DESIGN | PARAMETRIC DESIGN | GENERATIVE DESIGN | VISUAL PROGRAMMING
If you find this reply helpful kindly hit the LIKE BUTTON and if applicable please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION

Message 8 of 9

Everything has to be a pain in the a--! Why autodesk why?! Because you can!

Message 9 of 9
IRE74ESCO
in reply to: bng918

thanks thanks thanks!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report