Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving Revit Back To A Previous Version

25 REPLIES 25
SOLVED
Message 1 of 26
DavidRaines
10459 Views, 25 Replies

Saving Revit Back To A Previous Version

What is the real reason Autodesk will not permit Revit to be saved back to a previous version, say at least 1 year. Updating does not occur simultaneously at once therefor us using a newer version must go back to using a earlier version until our consultants are able to upgrade. It doesn't make any sense. I can still save back to an earlier version of AutoCAD. Why not be a little more user friendly.

Thanks
David Edited by: DavidRaines on Jun 3, 2010 8:52 PM
25 REPLIES 25
Message 21 of 26
loboarch
in reply to: mbuonocore

@mbuonocore wrote:

Jeff,

Our school is using Revit 2010 and 2011. We are on subscription.  How can I save back from 2011 to 2010.

Subscription allows a 3 year save back right?  Thanks.  File-Save As doesn't give me options to save to a previous version.

Revit does NOT save back to previois versions period.  Subscription does not play into this at all.  What subscription allows you to do is keep older versions of Revit INSTALLED on the PC and the subscription customer can use them.  If not on subscription and the user has purchased an upgrade, according to the EULA the previous version of software is to be removed from the PC after a period of time (30 days???)

Being on subscription allows you flexibility in this respect, in that you can use ANY version of the software up to 3 years past. (Actually even further but unsupported).

I repeat this does NOT have anythign to do with Revits ability to save back to a previous version.  I is NOT possible to save back to a previous version of Revit files.  Once a file is promoted, that is it, it can't go back. 

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 22 of 26
mbuonocore
in reply to: loboarch

Thank you.  I misunderstood one of  your previous posts.

Message 23 of 26
shawn
in reply to: mbuonocore

Well.... this is a very interesting discussion. It reminds me of the not so good old days when everyone complained about buggy releases and the developers insensitivity to the users concerns and issues. "Deja Vu all over again"

For the sake of discussion, and perhaps to play the devils advocate, I feel complled to offer the following perspectiive. I only hope this doesn't get me kicked out of the discussion community.

Having been in this business for over 27 years now and having sat in on the birth of the computer age in architecture, when only the largerest firms had CADD systems and those were all primitive DOS or UNIX based OS's with monochrome CRT's, my perspective is perhaps a little different. I still remember drafting everything by hand with pencil and pen and straight edge. No one in those days spent any time at all sitting around and wishing that someone would invent desktop computers and drafting software, nor did we spend any time complaining about the tools we had to work with. Pencils are a very simple, inexpensive, and user friendly technology. Nor did architecture suffer because we couldn't model in 3D. We had lots of paper on which to doodle whatever the imagination could conceive, and experienced drafters such as myself were able to take those doodles and turn them into perfectly usable 2d drawings, usable for permits and construction - just like today.

And firms had much lower operatioing costs because they weren't constantly having to upgrade their hardware, buy new software, or spend thousands of dollars sending their staff back to school to learn how to use the new software; and as a result a firms fee structure was more realistic and approachable for the average consumer. Consultants all had the exact same technology so the process of file sharing was not an issue. And becuase the operating costs were lower, firms could afford to hire more staff and keep them around during the lean times.

Most of you who participate in this group, becuase of your age and world view, may not understanda this, but architecture and construction haven't really changed at all, only the means by which construction documents are created has changed. Yes, it could be argued that there has been progress in some areas, especially for conceptual design and engineering, but at what cost and if you look at the totallity of the AEC industry and the quality of the architecure, has anything really changed?

So what have we gained from this new technology? Maybe it's because I'm an old guy now, but it seems to me that we haven't really gained very much. We spend entirely too much time and money dealing with the technology, not to mention the added stress, and not enough time taking care of our primary responsibility, which is serving the needs of the client and the community by creating new visions for how communities look and function and how transportation systems can be improved and integrated into new communal concepts. Computers are an amazing technology and the internet is priceless, but for architecture, I think the jury is still out - or at least it should be.

For the record, I am not an anarchist or anti-technology or anti-Autodesk. I believe in progress and a better future for my children and I think that BIM will probably be a part of that future - someday. Nor do I blame Autodesk or any other software company for this dilemma. They are not malicious, they are a corporation with shareholders. We, you and me, are to blame. It's our own addiction to technology and our need to have the sexiest new toys that is too blame. Also, I suppose that naively, we always hope that the next release will be our salvation - that they will actually fix the issues - but it never seems to work that way, they just keep adding layers of complexity.

At the end of the day, we all have a choice. Software companies provide a service and a product, if we don't like that product or service, we don't have to buy it. It's that simple. Revit, as I see it is still in it's testing phase. Yes, it's being used in the marketplace, but it's quite obviously still a work in progress and many firms are not eager to jump on the band wagon, for obvious reasons.

The problems we have with this and any other software are not going away anytime soon. It's the nature of the beast. So what's the moral of this story? It is simply this... if a particular software isn't serving you and your needs, walk away. I guarantee that the pressure to show quarterly profits or the need to explain the lack thereof will get someone's attention.

Anyway, for what it's worth, that's my two cents.

Aloha,

SG.

Message 24 of 26
mode893
in reply to: DavidRaines

I think with the amount of money (and time) spent on this 'work in progress' software, the least Autodesk could do is solve this backward/forward interoperability issue regardless of how hard it would be to implement. It is such a shame that for it's value, back porting a file is impossible. And what other price would we have to pay 5-10 years down the line especially when the management of the file archives is so complex? This needs to be addressed NOW. Autodesk owes this to us for being their loyal customers.

Message 25 of 26
Hoterstuf
in reply to: mode893

After reading these posts I cant see any long term benifits in switching from ACAD to Revit if were going to have issues with back saving. Sharing models between companies and disiplines is the hole point of BIM and it is completley unrealistic to expect all companies to work off the same software release.This is already causing chaos in industry. Further releases should be delayed until this issue is addressed. We all know this is not an issue of it being too complicated to do, just greed!
Message 26 of 26
rosskirby
in reply to: Hoterstuf

@Hoterstuf wrote:
Further releases should be delayed until this issue is addressed.

You're kidding, right?  Has the entire architecture/engineering/construction industry has ground to a halt because you can't save a Revit file down? Nope.  Thousands (yep, thousands) of firms are using Revit successfully on projects where models are shared, and have been for years.  Want to know how?  WE TALK BEFORE WE START THE PROJECT.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report