Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotation in Any Axis

38 REPLIES 38
SOLVED
Message 1 of 39
Bob_Zurunkle
35028 Views, 38 Replies

Rotation in Any Axis

Is it possible to create a family that can be loaded in on any view, and rotated in any direction?

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
38 REPLIES 38
Message 2 of 39

Using multiple levels of nested families, it is possible to make an object rotate in 3 planes: x/y(plan view), y/z (righ/left views), and x/z (front/back views).

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 39

Do you know of a step-by-step tutorial on this?

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 4 of 39

@Bob_Zurunkle wrote:

Do you know of a step-by-step tutorial on this?

No, I have not seen a step-by-step tutorial about this, but I could write a blog article about it.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 5 of 39

That would be cool 🙂 and much appreciated!

Message 6 of 39

@Bob_Zurunkle wrote:

That would be cool 🙂 and much appreciated!

As promised, I have written a blog article about rotation in 3 different axis:

http://planta1.com/forum/entry.php?12-Rotating-a-Revit-model-family-in-3-different-axis-by-parameter...

Message 7 of 39

Much obliged 🙂

Message 8 of 39
jcl4439
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

Ridiculous, I simply want to align a modeled in place component (a turnbuckle) with a cable coming from some other turnbuckle at a different height. That blog post is ridiculous.

Message 9 of 39
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: jcl4439

No, it is not. That article describes a case in which you need 3 rotations simultaneously and control those rotations by parameter. There is another article about rotating elements in generic adaptive families by points. If you just need to align an object to another, without parameters, probably that article does not apply to your particular needs.

Message 10 of 39
rosskirby

If you're modeling something in place, why would you need to rotate it?  Why not just model it in the correct orientation in the first place?

For your given situation, though, why would it need to be rotated in more than one plane?  I assume you have two turnbuckles, one at either end of an angled tension rod, correct? Wouldn't it only need to be rotated in the XY plan (when viewed in elevation)?

What was explained in the blog post was a method for creating a family that can rotate in multiple planes.  While it's somewhat complex, especially if you're unfamiliar with the way Revit works, it's certainly not a "ridiculous" solution.  And if you want constructive feedback, I'd recommend a less antagonistic approach.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 11 of 39
jcl4439
in reply to: Bob_Zurunkle

Ok,

Myfault. I had a visual modeling problem not a BIM problem. So I can imagine some faceted cladding, with a need to align an object to another with parameters and then making use of a BIM that specifies/locks exactly some angle of an attachment. So great job scripting, coding, hacking Alfredo.

Thankyou. But Ross, oh my.  Not your buisness to ask why I would need a component to be rotated in more than one plane. I have the project, I have the component. I simply do. Rotate, flip, twist. I want different angles to the component. 

Nonetheless I modeled the component in Autocad then linked the dwg and I got what I needed for a rendering. Thanks

Cullen

Message 12 of 39
Alfredo_Medina

If you post a question here, you are expecting answers, comments, questions from other users, correct? How can you say to another user that it is not his business to ask you a question? We could say, then, that your problems with Revit are your business only, not ours. If you consider other people's question an intromission in your own business, then I don't see why we should reply to your posts.

Message 13 of 39
jcl4439
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

He was asking rhetoric questions. Thankyou
Message 14 of 39
rosskirby

I was trying to understand your specific example (turnbuckles), and the rhetorical question was a way of positing a solution to what I perceived to be your issue.  That is, if you are modeling something in place, rotation of that object shouldn't be an issue.  As with the tutorial in Alfredo's blog, most objects are built as separate families so that they can be used in mulitple situtations, which is where one might expect to run into the need to rotate in multiple planes.

If you don't think that Alfredo's solution applies to your given situation, or if you have a more workable solution, then by all means, please share it.  I guarantee that Alfredo and I will be first in line to congratulate you on a solution and refer everyone else to it when we run across a similar question years from now, but attacking someone else's solution as ridiculous is unneccessary, and counter to the goal of these forums.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 15 of 39
stahci

The link to this blog i broken.

Message 16 of 39
ljnuin
in reply to: stahci

the link to Planta 1 is broken. I will really need the article tutorial to see how can I make a family rotate in 3-axis coz by unchecking the boxex: work plane-based; always vertical my solution is not answeered and solved. my family object was intended to be horizontal and we want it vertical for another application purpose. Thank you very much.

Message 17 of 39
CoreyDaun
in reply to: ljnuin

Here is an updated link, except that this is titled "By Points":

http://www.planta1.com/blog/rotating-an-object-in-3-different-axes-by-points/

Corey D.                                                                                                                  ADSK_Logo_EE_2013.png    AutoCAD 2014 User  Revit 2014 User
──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
⁞|⁞ Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution and Give Kudos!Give Kudos as appropriate to further enhance these forums. Thank you!
Message 18 of 39
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: CoreyDaun

Here's the other blog article:

http://www.planta1.com/blog/rotating-a-revit-model-family-in-3-different-axes-by-reference-lines/

Message 19 of 39
smbrennan

Thank you for re-posting a link that works. There's nothing more frustrating than seeing hope for a solution that requires you to follow a link, only to find a dead link.

I'm going to dive into this more tomorrow, but is there an easier way to rotate a family? I'm basically trying to make a quick workable bus duct family. Each instance will only rotate 1 axis at a time, at 90 degree intervals. It's nothing more than a parametric box. Maybe some various elbows and cable tap boxes as well, but not much more beyond that.

The more I type the more I think, but I may just try to make this family in 'space' and not bound to a reference plane, then control the rotation in there. Hmmm ...

Thanks again.
Shawn B.

||    
To help improve Autodesk Products, please Click Here to Vote for ideas and submit your own.
Message 20 of 39
me1a

Link is missing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report