Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotating In-Place Mass Elements

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
mcobb
2552 Views, 11 Replies

Rotating In-Place Mass Elements

I have a colleague who has counciled me that sometimes it makes sense to create mass-elements for complicated gabled roof elements.  Since I am pretty darn new to Revit, I am bringing in some old 2D dwg information (plans and elevations) and I'm trying to use this information to generate an in-place mass that is my roof.  I'm essentially extruding gabled roof information from this geometry.  So far so good.  But when I try to rotate this information I find the program unwilling to do this.  I have a suspicion this has something to do with the fact this in-place mass is either being hosted by the intitial horiontal working plane, or it is "pinned" to something I don't want it to be pinned to.  Does anyone have any advice on how rotate in-place mass elements?  You would really be helping me out.

Thank you. 

Regards,

Mike
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
constantin.stroescu
in reply to: mcobb

try this:

1. select the Mass Object > Modify / Mass > Edit In Place  - Image 001
  2. Edit in Place > select again the whole object (cross selection) > Form Element > Pick New Host  > choose Face and drag of a face - Image 002,003 and 004
  3. or choose Work Plane and choose the new Host plane - Image 005

Image 003.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 3 of 12
mcobb
in reply to: constantin.stroescu

I'll definitely give this shot in a little bit. Thank you for your thoughtful response.
Regards,

Mike
Message 4 of 12
mcobb

Thank you so much for this description.  Do you think this methodology is a good one for constructing complex roofs in revit.  I found myself another method as well.  I imported dwg elevation information into various elevation views to act as a guide in constructing in-place mass elements.  This neatly avoided some of the rotation issues I asked you about earlier.  I placed each dwg elevation into each corresponding view and constructed mass element extrusions from there.   Once I joined, coped and cut the various masses I pulled roof elements from the various faces of the composite mass element.  Is this another viable approach.  I noticed the roof elements were always generated DOWN from the top face.  Is this the only behaviour one should expect from this approach?  Any further enlightenment is appreciated.  This whole roof issues is clearly my biggest obstacle to executing complex wood frame buildings in Revit and I would love to have a reliable way to solve it.

Thanks again for all your help.

Mike

Regards,

Mike
Message 5 of 12
Alfredo_Medina

Please post some images of what you are trying to do. Maybe you don't need in-place elements, maybe you do. It's difficult to tell without seeing anything.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 12
mcobb
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Thank you for your continued attention to this.  Here's a working shot of what I'm trying to accomplish.  It shows the basic roof geometry.  The massing in the 3D view is slightly "inflated because I created an in-place mass that went to the extremities of the eaves.  I did this so I could pull up my roof faces.  The surprise there was that the roof faces went down instead of up.  When I tried to move this, there was no helpful snapping. I'm sure I'm exhibiting an "old" mindset with all this.  I'm use to working with Rhino and Vectorworks.

Parallels Picture 4.png

Regards,

Mike
Message 7 of 12
constantin.stroescu

it could be done using Roof by Footprint using 3 roofs with Join Roof...

Image 567.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 8 of 12
mcobb

Cool!  There is also a shed roof between the pair of gables that attaches to the major gable.  I hadn't included that one yet.  The low point of this shed element is actually the lowest spring point of all  roofs.   Would you do this the same way or would this be a small piece of in-place mass elementing?  I'll send an image shortly. 

Regards,

Mike

Regards,

Mike
Message 9 of 12
mcobb

HI constantin.stroescu

So here are a couple images that comes close to showing the entire situation.  Does this still look like the sort of thing you would do with a "creat roof from walls" operation.  A complications that cropped up in the redesign process:  The client wants a window in the location indicated in yellow in the third attached image.  I tried generating the roof from walls previously and ran into some complications because of the need to segment the walls in the middle of this window.  If you're able to speak to this too it would be great.  Maybe generate the roof without the window and modify the walls later without modifying the pregenerated roof?  Sounds tricky to revise later.  I don't need to do this completely by the book.  If you see a "workaround" that is not how you'd do it in every situation - but maybe just in this one - I'm all ears.  Your input is greatly appreciated. 

Mike

Existing Situation.png

Roof Configuration.png

Screen Shot 2014-02-21 at 2.37.05 PM.png

Regards,

Mike
Message 10 of 12
constantin.stroescu

1. there are five roofs by footprint :  A two of B and one C
  2. Roof A and B are conected using Join Roof  -Image 04
  3. Roof B and C are conected using Join Geometry- Image 04
  4. Roof C is with only one slope as shown in Image 02 and Image 03 
  5. Attach Walls to Roof one by one

Image 01.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 11 of 12
mcobb

While some of this roof geometry you've drawn is slightly different from the existing condition (e.g. pitch break occurs over the wall and there is no eave on the shallow shed roof) it sound like you are encouraging me to stick with the more conventional methodology of putting a roof together from a sacrificial or hidden arrangement of walls. To get all the geometry right. Also, I probably need to formalize the arrangement a bit in a sketch mode before specifying the pitches and the wall heights. Does this sound right?

Mike
Regards,

Mike
Message 12 of 12
constantin.stroescu

Yes Mike you are right, that's it...

Try first to use conventional methods, as you call them (Roof by Footprint and Roof by Extrusion).

For complicated forms (as for instance double curved surfaces) you can use Masses and Roof by Face.

Roof by Footprint and Roof by Extrusion can solve almost every average roof....so, why not using this method..

And be sure that, every time , will be not only one sollution. Try to choose the more handy one....

Constantin

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report