Revit Architecture

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 11 of 22 (421 Views)

Re: Rotate Lighting Fixture

11-28-2011 07:28 AM in reply to: SamuelAB

Sorry, but the family is part of a video tutorial that I have made recently on nested families, but I have some restrictions about posting that content, due to my contract with the company that commissions the videos. Are you by any chance attending Autodesk University? These videos will be on demostration at the booth of Axiom International, and I will be there, too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Contributor
SamuelAB
Message 12 of 22 (417 Views)

11-28-2011 07:49 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

I won't be attending AU, I may watch some of the presentations online. It's too bad about the family, let me know if you have additional material, forum posts or websites relating to this topic (rotating light fixtures with light source).

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 13 of 22 (411 Views)

11-28-2011 08:00 AM in reply to: SamuelAB

See your private messages, in this forum.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Planta1 Revit Online Consulting | info@planta1.com | my Twitter | The Planta1 Blog
Contributor
SamuelAB
Message 14 of 22 (401 Views)

11-28-2011 08:37 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Do you know if it's possible to achieve the same results without hosting the family?

As mentionned before, hosting the familiy is not ideal since the hosted family gets tagged as "?" on the drawings and I have to remove each one manually.

Contributor
SamuelAB
Message 15 of 22 (390 Views)

11-29-2011 09:19 AM in reply to: SamuelAB

I've posted my solution at the following location for those of you who were (will be) wondering:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=134937

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 16 of 22 (381 Views)

11-29-2011 02:26 PM in reply to: SamuelAB

I see one parameter of rotation. Where is the other one? I thought you wanted to have rotation in two different planes.

Your comment above about why not to nest the family, is not necessarily true. The issue with the "?" tag happens only if the nested family is shared.

Contributor
SamuelAB
Message 17 of 22 (370 Views)

11-30-2011 06:53 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

I can rotate the family in plan no problem, the main issue with lighting fixture is achieving the vertical rotation (what I've done in this family). Furthermore, the light fixture I based this family on only has one point of rotation. http://www.junolightinggroup.com/literature/LIT-JUNO-LEDWW-1.pdf

You are correct about the embedded family, you simply have to not share it in order for it not to show up in the schedule or be tagged automatically (or at all). I had to refresh my memory on what sharing embedded components meant since I thought it would somehow disable the light source. It never hurts to go digging in the Revit Family Guide.

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 18 of 22 (364 Views)

11-30-2011 11:43 AM in reply to: SamuelAB

Then, according to your last post, and the .pdf file that you posted, you needed one rotation, only. So, why did you start the thread with this sentence: "I am trying to create a light fixture with a head that can rotate in two axes so that the light can aim up or down and left or right." ? That is something different.

Contributor
SamuelAB
Message 19 of 22 (360 Views)

11-30-2011 11:57 AM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

You're right, I made a mistake. It should've said "I am trying to create a light fixture with a head that can aim up or down and left or right." since it is really easy to aim a light fixture left or right.

Using this technique, I will be able to model track lights that can rotate on any axis in the future.

*Expert Elite*
Alfredo_Medina
Message 20 of 22 (352 Views)

11-30-2011 04:37 PM in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Hmm.. Isn't this new sentence talking about a double rotation, as in the first sentence?

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community

Revit Exchange Apps

Created by the community for the community, Autodesk Exchange Apps for Revit helps you achieve greater speed, accuracy, and automation from concept to manufacturing.

Connect with Revit

Twitter

Facebook

Blogs

Youtube