Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rooms

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
MarkFarrell10
406 Views, 10 Replies

Rooms

I have a corridor which has openings in and is 1 space/room, so I would like to have the room/tag/area to reflex this, however the issue is that it will put a space on either side but not merge/join then togther.

See PDF

Construction is basic walls with revit opening (nothing speical)

Thank you

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
VWD-MLM
in reply to: MarkFarrell10

Mark, uncheck "Room Bounding" in the properties palette for the wall btwn the tow rooms....that should help.

Mike

Michael L. Maloney
Virtual World Designs
VDC & BIM Model Design, Clash & Coordination
mike@VirtualWorldDesigns.com
BDSU 2015, 2016
Charlotte, NC ; Fort Mill, SC
Message 3 of 11
LisaDrago

Hello - I have attached an image for reference.

The wall in between the rooms is room bounding - so the room object will 'see' the wall and stop. You need to tell the wall it is not room bounding.

1. You will need to split the wall if it runs the whole length of the building.

2. Select that piece of wall and in the properties uncheck - room bounding.

3. The room object will expand into the adjacent room.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
You can't think AutoCAD and run Revit.
Email: LisaDragoEE@gmail.com
Message 4 of 11

Thank you for the quick responses, however the splitting of the walls is not a good option as it will mean that a main structural wall which goes through the whole building, is split into about 4 or 5 parts (so potentially causing issues later with multiple elements for the same piece of structure) also the area/colour will then cover the wall, which is incorrect.

I have an example attached where we have the same situation but the room/space automatically goes past the opening and included the zone on the other side.

Whys is there not a merge/join command? In other software programs it allows you to split/divide/merge/subtract any element

Cheers.

Message 5 of 11

But, if you want to keep the wall and calculate only the opening and the two rooms:

1. in plan view , select the Opening and from Properties look that Base Offset  to be higher than Computation Height (when selecting the room simbol - the rectangle with an X - you will see in Properties >Dimensions >Computation Height)..... you will have one room
  2. If  Base Offset  is less than Computation Height  then you will have two rooms

Image 2.png

Image 3.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 6 of 11
LisaDrago

Currently I do not know of another way of doing this...

I have not had any issues using this method. 

and as for color fill - it does not cover the wall... Image attached.

LD

If this helped solve your issue - remember to 'accept as solution' to help other find answers!
Message 7 of 11

sorry...

1. Base Offset to be less than Computation Height (when selecting the room simbol - the rectangle with an X - you will see in Properties >Dimensions >Computation Height)..... you will have one room
  2.  Base Offset  is higher than Computation Height  then you will have two rooms
Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 8 of 11
MarkFarrell10
in reply to: LisaDrago

Thanks for the answer, yes the colour does not go over the wall put the area includes the thinkness of the wall so in the example I am playing with the space stated it was 85sq.m but the actucal floor splace (exluding walls) was 83.2sq.m thuis giving an incorrect floor area.

When I select the opening it goes not give me the options you mesioned, where would I find them? If I select the room, it does not have these options either.

Thank you

Message 9 of 11
LisaDrago

Okay - I am getting a litle confused... There are two people responding and I need to make sure I know which one you are specificaly responding to.

The informamtion I was working with was specific to walls and room bounding.

was discussing using openings

If you could clarify which option you are exploring (or maybe both) I could be a bit more helpful.

LD

Message 10 of 11

In brief : must check if the opening has not  a threshold higher than the Computation Height.

The Openings do not have the Room Bounding option, so if their threshold is under the Computation Height we'll have conected rooms ( a single room)

Image 1.png

Image 2.png

Image 3.png

Image 4.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD

Your Name

EESignature

Message 11 of 11
LisaDrago

Not to confuse the matter any more - but another option would be to create an opening in the wall by editing the profile of the wall.

I have attached an image describing the process.

This will give you the opening and the correct room calculations.

LD

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report