Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Room tag to calculate occupant loads

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
olsonda
6026 Views, 11 Replies

Room tag to calculate occupant loads

Here is the deal. I want to use a room tag to calculate my occupants based on the area of the room divided by the occupant load factor. The room area would be pulled from the room, the occupant load factor (OLF) would be manually input by the user. Once the OLF was input a formula would take over and give the number of occupants. Is this possible? I know it can be done in a schedule but I would like to put it into a tag for a code study. Eventually this tag could be expanded to provide other information such as required exit width from the room. The possibilities are endless. I just need a lttle help figuring out the way formulas work in tags. Any takers?

Darek
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Scott_Womack
in reply to: olsonda

Doing it in a tag is possible, although a severe pain. The methodology of a schedule based system takes a lot less user imput, especially if a key schedule is set up to match the code bases room use groups. Then one room "code type" is placed in the room, and all other calculations come out.
Message 3 of 12
CraigGorsuch

The issue then becomes one of rounding as Revit may round all the numbers up (when you might want to want a select few OLC's to be rounded down) in order to maintain a certain code functionality. I've run into this exact issue at my previous employer's office, and the issue was worked around after I left. But the comment of making a schedule to show the building's occupancy loads based on SF's is (in my opinion) the easiest solution.
Message 4 of 12
michael_fett

Anyone ever figure this out? I'm pretty close, but I still need it to round down and I need to remove the SF suffix.
Message 5 of 12
michael_fett

Ok, so I figured out how to get rid of the SF suffix. Any ideas on how to round down?
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

Found this on teh interweb:

Rounding Down
To return the next lower integer, one-half can be subtracted, because
subtracting one-half from an integer and then rounding, results in the
integer. Therefore, the calculation formula would be:
Round (Number - .5, 0)

michael_fett wrote:
> Ok, so I figured out how to get rid of the SF suffix. Any ideas on how to round down?
Message 7 of 12
brentonw

I'm trying to make the same type of tag. How did you get the tag to read the room area and then make that available to use as a parameter in the family?
Message 8 of 12
iamian_at_GHMA
in reply to: brentonw

Has anyone come up with a methodology to create a tag that shows the occupant load of a room without having to manually add the number?  I have the schedule that generates the values and I've got it to round up to a whole number, but I cannot find a way to push this number to the tag on the plan without manually inputting the result into the parameter. 

anybody ... ?

Ian Shafer

GHMA

Ian Shafer
Graham Hoffart Mathiasen Architects
Surrey, BC
Message 9 of 12
bward
in reply to: iamian_at_GHMA

It is my understanding that formula parameters cannot appear in tags, just like non-shared parameters cannot appear in tags. I have heard of a third party software that allows this to happen. If I can find it I will post it. Typically we provide a room schedule on the life safety plans that has the use, occupant load factor, area and occupant load for each room. It is a pain to go back and forth betweent he schedule and plans but beat manually inputing info and having the potential for something to be missed.

Message 10 of 12
jpinheiro

Well, until Autodesk decided to allow calculated values in Room tags I, with some help, created a simple add-in that will take care of this for you.  

http://therevitkid.blogspot.com/2013/08/saubim-code-calculations-for-revit.html

Message 11 of 12
agearey
in reply to: michael_fett

Ho w did you remove the SF suffix from the room tag?  I still want the square footage to show just not the SF suffix

Thanks

Message 12 of 12
bward
in reply to: agearey

The only way I know to change it is to change the project units to remove the SF however this will remove the SF from all annotation using the default project units. See attached.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report