Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Room creation 'best practices', for gbXML export

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
plawton5092
1505 Views, 4 Replies

Room creation 'best practices', for gbXML export

Anyone:

We are an MEP firm investigating the potential value of altering our workflow to include importing gbXML files into Trane Trace for our heating and cooling load calcs.  We have used Revit MEP 2009 thru 2012, and we regularly work with architects who are constantly improving their understanding of Revit's requirements.

One of the outstanding concerns that has been voiced internally is "How much work will we have to do on the architect's model to assure a useful export to gbXML?"  While we do expect to spend some time tweaking a copy of the architect's model, our hope is that there exists a white paper that describes (in just a few pages) the best practices for setting up Revit Architectural rooms, with a view toward exporting for use in this fashion.  We would like to share such a white paper with our architect clients.

Is anyone familiar with such a white paper, preferably connected to the most recent editions of the software?

Thanks very much in advance for an help you can provide.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ccollins
in reply to: plawton5092
Message 3 of 5
loboarch

In addition to the links Cliff posted you might want to review this AU class from a couple of years ago given by Harlan Brumm.

http://au.autodesk.com/?nd=class&session_id=7068

I have the handout from the class but it is too large to post.  Post back if you can't get to the AU link above and I can e-mail direct to you.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 4 of 5
plawton5092
in reply to: loboarch

Mr. Hanson:

Thanks so much, Mr. Brumm's discussion is a lot of what we'll need going forward.  It is missing a few verses, tho, specifically regarding three points:

1.  How do we manipulate the compass orientation?  Autodesk and Trane disagree on which end is up.

2.  What do I do about roof tilt?

3. Can I make all of these changes in Revit MEP?  There are times when the architect provides an incomplete model, and does not have the money to go thru and make adjsutements for the sake fo the MEP energy model.  This leaves the adjustments and corrections to the MEP (that's us) - so, can I successfully make all of these adjustments in Revit MEP?  Or do I have to own a copy of Revit Arch to make these things happen (this would be very bad)?

As the sub-consulting engineers, we would rather NOT have to provide to our architect clients a set of instructions that WE have generated for how WE want the model.  Instead, we would like to provide to them a document written by an authoritaive third party (like Autodesk), that describes in concise terms the very specific steps needed to properly prep these spaces, for the benefit of the entire collaboratrive effort - especially, if the changes MUST take place in Revit Architecture.

Thanks again for your time and attention.

Message 5 of 5
loboarch

@plawton5092 wrote:

Mr. Hanson:

Thanks so much, Mr. Brumm's discussion is a lot of what we'll need going forward.  It is missing a few verses, tho, specifically regarding three points:

1.  How do we manipulate the compass orientation?  Autodesk and Trane disagree on which end is up.

3. Can I make all of these changes in Revit MEP?  There are times when the architect provides an incomplete model, and does not have the money to go thru and make adjsutements for the sake fo the MEP energy model.  This leaves the adjustments and corrections to the MEP (that's us) - so, can I successfully make all of these adjustments in Revit MEP?  Or do I have to own a copy of Revit Arch to make these things happen (this would be very bad)?

As the sub-consulting engineers, we would rather NOT have to provide to our architect clients a set of instructions that WE have generated for how WE want the model.  Instead, we would like to provide to them a document written by an authoritaive third party (like Autodesk), that describes in concise terms the very specific steps needed to properly prep these spaces, for the benefit of the entire collaboratrive effort - especially, if the changes MUST take place in Revit Architecture.

Thanks again for your time and attention.

I am glad you found Harlan's presentation helpful

You can change the orientation of the building by rotating true north.  You can find a short tutorial written by a user at our wikihelp site here.

I am not sure what you are asking on this question?  You can change the slope of the roof by editing the sketch of the roof or changing the slope values of the edges.

3. Can I make all of these changes in Revit MEP?

Yes, the changes listed above and in Harlan's presentation should be able to be made in Revit MEP.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report