Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Room Boundary for Curtain Walls

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
bimandict
6585 Views, 9 Replies

Room Boundary for Curtain Walls

Hi,

Is it possible to get the room boundary line in a curtain wall to be set to the inner face of the mullion instead of the inner face of the glass?

I have looked at the System family library but cant find a setting for changing this.

Also, setting the location line is greyed out. Why?

If I draw clockwise I get the location line on the inner face of the glass even if the greyed out location line setting in the options bar is set to center.

Why?

Jimi

Regards,

Jimi Clarke

BIM Manager - London
Microsoft Cloud Services Partner
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

From my observations the room boundary is on the central axis of curtain wall that by default is the central axis of the mullion.

Make a new type of curtain wall and a new type of mullion with an ofset..

If you make a mullion with an ofset of half of its thicknes you can change the position of the axis to be left side or right side as in my images. The Room boundary will be on this axis position..

Image 321.png

Image 320.png

You have to adjust also the position of the glass pane:

Image 322.png

the room boundary , now, automaticaly goes on the interior side of the mullions:

Image 319.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for the responce.

I have one additional question to this please.

What if the Curtain Wall is curved?

See images

SystemCurtainWall.JPG

SystemCurtainWallOffset.JPG

Regards,

Jimi Clarke

BIM Manager - London
Message 4 of 10

if you use the same mullion type as in the previous example it will work for "curved curtain walls" too.

It is true that the Room is calculated by an arc tangent to the interior face of the mullion but if you have a large arc or many grids the arc and the chord are very closed one to another....

Image 325.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 5 of 10

So, if you have a large grid. Is the only way to make the arc not overlapping the inner face of the grid frame, to use room separation lines?

Regards,

Jimi Clarke

BIM Manager - London
Message 6 of 10

We have not to forget that in true a curved curtain wall is a successions of chord that approximates an arc.

If we have few segments we can work with a chain of straight curtain walls and changing the mullions to corner or trapezoid corner mullion ( also with an offset of half thicknes if we want the room  border line to be inside)... The Room limit will follow the interior side of the chained curtain wall.

If we want a real curved glass wall we can made a Basic Wall with material:glass....

Image 326.png

Constantin Stroescu
BIM Manager AGD
Message 7 of 10

Constantin-

thank you so much for these posts.

very helpful for me today.

Message 8 of 10

What if u have all sides curtain panels and it is a room, than the area is taken from the center of the room. Is there any solution that the room area of all 4 sided curtain wall room to make the area from the edges of the room. 

Message 9 of 10

Probably too late with my suggestion, but in our office we had the same issue and we just drew a ton of Room Seperation Lines.

Message 10 of 10
bycenkovas
in reply to: bimandict

fff.jpg

Does somebody knows what to do in order to show ALL room area ( included in red color space near the window) ? I would like to do it without room separation lines. Thanks in advance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report